Chapter 1-I: Welcome Home!

Stormy weather.

Heavy rain.

Thundering sounds.

It wasn't the brightest of days.

It wasn't his brightest of days either.

Failed... again.

His eyes scanned the email on the handheld screen, his thumb scrolling through the lines of text.

And here I thought third time's the charm.

A deep sigh escaped his wet lips, only to be captured within the mask covering his mouth.

I don't know what to do anymore.

He slid the phone into his windbreaker's pocket. His legs stopped moving forward and he raised his head high, letting a longer sigh escape his lips.

He looked to the side, observing the millions of raindrops crashing against the asphalt in an irregular manner, much like the state of his mind.

The weather's sure capturing my mood perfectly.

He turned his body to face the rain, basking in the calming moment. Despite the heavy rain, he found some appreciation in it. It made him want to relax, knock himself out, and forget everything for a while.

Better head home quick. See you later, rain.

He turned back to the sidewalk and pushed his legs forward once more, putting one foot in front of the other. The sound of his steps was overshadowed by the crashing rain.

After walking forward another few steps, he stopped in place. The shop he was standing next to, for whatever reason, caught his attention. He always passed by this place on the way home, but he had never paid any attention to it.

The animal shelter...

Looking through the glass wall, he saw two people, a man and a woman, standing behind the counter. They seemed to be discussing something with one another. Judging by their similar appearances, he guessed they were siblings. They look familiar. Since he was already here, his eyes scanned around the place.

Was it always this empty?

He saw dozens of cages, beds, and kennels... yet there were no signs of life breathing in them. He supposed that was a good thing. It meant these animals were getting adopted, finally finding their homes.

At the corner of his eye, he saw a little hand waving at him. Strangely, it wasn't the people behind the counter. His gaze shifted downwards and he saw... two animal ears. Cat ears, to be exact. His gaze moved down further, and he saw... a face? A face of a girl? A face with two bubbly eyes staring back at him. She had very pale purple hair, with blue eyes that seemed to be peering into his soul. Her presence didn't seem to be of this world if he had to describe it. Finding this a bit unsettling, he turned his head away quickly.

What did I just see...?

He slowly turned his head to look again. This time, she was rapidly waving her hand which suggested she wanted his attention. Well, seeing anyone wave their hand in this manner would certainly be eye-catching...

As if being dragged in by a mysterious force, he pushed through the glass door. Why did he come here? He wasn't sure why. Maybe his curiosity got the best of him, he thought.

The pair behind the counter didn't seem to notice he had come in. They looked like they were in the middle of a heated discussion, so he chose not to announce his presence. He wasn't the best at socializing with strangers, so maybe this was a good thing.