Chapter 23: Lost Child

"Wow..."

Iris was staring at a group of monstergirl children. Some of these monstergirl children were catgirls. She hadn't seen any other catgirl till this point. It fascinated her to find others like herself. Those catgirls even had different fur colors!

"Eryn, look!" Iris pointed at the monstergirl children. "Those are catgirls like me!"

Strangely enough, there was no response from Eryn, prompting her to turn around.

"Eryn?" Iris called out once more, only to hear nothing back. She looked around and didn't find him and her two sisters anywhere.

"E-Eryn?" Fear settled into her lower body. Many people were walking around. The sounds of chattering and footsteps echoed through her cat ears. "Eryn?"

When did she separate? Wasn't she holding on to his hand? She couldn't remember at all. She saw other catgirls and simply wanted to see them up close. Did she wander around without realizing it?

Her eyes darted around, trying to find her owner. Anxiety pooled through her heart. She sniffed the air, trying to locate his comfy scent, but there were too many scents roaming around. These unfamiliar scents and sounds overwhelmed her, making it hard for her to think calmly.

"E-Eryn?" Iris started wandering through the school area. Eryn must be nearby, right? He'd never abandon her. He wasn't like that. She was sure he must be worried about her. He must be looking for her too!

But her optimism couldn't push away the negative feelings growing in her mind. What if he did abandon her? What if he forgot about her? What if he planned to leave her behind. Would she be alone again?

"No..." Iris clenched the fabric of her shirt, a sour feeling pooling through her chest. Her heart tightened at the idea that Eryn would leave her here. Eryn wasn't like that! She knew Eryn wouldn't leave her behind! And yet, she couldn't stop the tears from welling up in her eyes.

"Eryn..." Iris called out again, hoping it reached him somewhere. She couldn't have wandered too far. Maybe she could trace her steps back! That sounded like a good idea! With renewed determination, she turned around and–...

BUMP!

"Ow!" Iris bumped into someone. "S-Sorry...!"

"Oh?" The person Iris bumped into turned to her.

In front of Iris was a girl slightly taller than her. Black long hair reached her back with hime-cut front bangs reaching just above her mystical purple eyes. She wore a black shirt and skirt with purple frills. Her presence seemed to exude a royal aura.

"Hello there!" The girl waved. "Are you lost?"

"Y-Yes..." Iris nodded timidly. This girl appeared nice.

"Oh, don't worry!" The girl slammed a fist to her chest. "I'll keep you company!"

"... Y-You will?" Iris asked, surprised. This girl, who she just met, wants to help her?

"Of course!" her eyes sparkled with excitement. "Who are you looking for?"

"My... owner." She answered. "And my two sisters."

"You have sisters?" She grinned. "I have a sister, too!"

For someone she just met, this girl was oddly excited to accompany her. Iris didn't feel anything malicious from her intentions. Maybe she was a good person? Still, something felt off about this girl.

"Oh...!" The girl's eyes noticed the catgirl's ears and tail. "Wait, are you a monstergirl?"

"Y-Yes..." Iris nodded timidly. Well, there were a lot of monstergirls in this school.