Chapter 1-II: Welcome Home!

Eryn wasn't sure what led him to this decision. He wasn't sure why he was standing right here. He wasn't sure how he found it in himself to take action. He lived a life of loneliness, devoid of social communication. It was something he had grown used to. It was something he didn't want to change.

And yet, the words easily slipped through his lips.

"... Could I adopt her?" Eryn asked without as much as a second thought.

"Huh?" Aiden's eyes widened.

"What?" Amber's mouth went agape.

What the?! Even Eryn was surprised by himself.

"You... want to adopt her?!" Aiden held his eyeglass, almost crushing it to bits.

"Y-Yeah. Is that a problem?"

"N-No, in fact, we're delighted to hear that! It's just..." Aiden's voice trailed off in the end.

"It's just...?" Eryn raised an eyebrow.

"There's another reason why people don't want to adopt them..."

"Mister, you're going to adopt us?!" The monstergirl's ears perked up in excitement, her tail wagging around. "I'm so happy! I need to let them know!" she ran to the back as if searching.

"... Another reason?" Eryn asked, now feeling unsure of his decision.

"Look, he's going to adopt us!" The monstergirl exclaimed, holding the hands of two other... monstergirls.

"Wah!" The monstergirl with mouse ears charged against the fence, almost breaking it. "Are you going to be our new master?!" She had red hair, with orange eyes that matched the color of flames. She bubbled with so much energy.

"H-Hello there..." The monstergirl with pointy dog ears approached him slowly. "Will you... adopt us?" She had dark brown hair with dark, green eyes. Unlike the other monstergirl, she had a rather shy demeanor.

"You see..." Aiden grinned sheepishly as he scratched his cheek. "These three monstergirls are inseparable. They're one family. You kinda have to... adopt them together."

"Three monstergirls and they're adults," Amber stated. "You can see why they're free. They're also not adopted... until now. I totally understand if you want to change your–"

"... That's fine." Eryn waved his hand. "I'll adopt them." He was even more surprised at himself now.

"Wha–... are you sure?" Aiden asked, visibly shaken. "It's... a big responsibility, you know? It won't be easy."

"... I know." Eryn averted his gaze. "Whether I am fit to take care of them or not... you'll be the judge of that."

"... Right." Aiden stroked his chin, turning to Amber. "What do you think, sis?"

"I think it's wonderful!" Amber hopped around with glee. "These monstergirls will finally have a place to call their home. And since it's you, I know we won't have to worry that much."

"All right, then." Aiden went to the counter. "Let's fill in the adoption papers together, shall we?"

"Lead the way." Eryn followed him to the counter.

"I'll get the girls ready!" Amber told them, then went into the backroom.

"So..." Aiden placed some papers on the counter. "I'll just need you to read this and sign here. Take your time, this is mostly a formality."

"Ah, got'cha." Eryn scanned over the papers, line by line. I hope that's the case...

"One of the things you need to be mindful about is this..." Aiden pointed at a particular paragraph.