Chapter 25: Old Spark

The two families followed Piromi to the wide-open fields. It reminded Eryn of Track and Field. Long red paths circled around as far as his eyes could see. There was an empty peachy-colored field in the center. Faint scents of smoke and ash traveled by his nose. Was something burning here recently?

"And here are the open fields," Piromi exclaimed. "It's where I have my physical sessions with the students!"

"It's pretty... massive," Kazumi said in awe. "The school has an entire field like this behind it?"

"But of course." Piromi puffed her chest out proudly. "We used to have a smaller field back when we only received human children. After we started getting monstergirls, the school had the entire field expanded."

"Do you... take advantage of the entire field?" Eryn asked, curious. This seems like overkill. He couldn't quite imagine even monstergirl children running around the tracks. Then again, Piromi does have impressive stamina. He has yet to see the fullest extent of a monstergirl's capability.

"Yes, we do!" Piromi nodded. "With the many kinds of monstergirls here, we encourage them to use the fields and try out their abilities in a safe and controlled manner."

"Their abilities...?" Eryn raised a brow. His ears perked up at the word. Wouldn't that mean...

"For example..." Piromi turned to them. She snapped her fingers and a ball of flame appeared on her palm. "Monstergirls who possess elemental characteristics, such as myself, can try and draw out our elements."

"Eryn, Eryn!" Melty's eyes sparkled with excitement. She pointed at the flames. "Look! Look! She can create flames like me!"

You are both hinezumis, after all. Eryn chuckled. "You're totally right, Melty." It was cute to see her express excitement at another monstergirl like herself.

"Can you create your own flames, little one?" Piromi asked the younger hinezumi.

"Yeah!" Melty let go of Eryn's hand and stood a safe distance away from him. She snapped her fingers in the same manner and created a smaller ball of flame in her hand. "I can do it, too!"

"Impressive!" She grinned, shutting off her flames. "How about this?"

Piromi's tail curled around to her front. Flames ignited at the base of her tail and crawled to the tip, shrouding itself in hot sparks.

"W-Woah...!" Eryn instinctively took a few steps back. She can ignite her entire tail on fire?! That could prove to be a deadly weapon! Can Melty do that, too?

"Wow!" Melty stared at her own tail as it wiggled around. Being able to fire up her tail sounded awesome! She wanted to follow Piromi's style.

"I can also do this!" Piromi flexed her arm and ignited it in flames. Searing heat radiated from her body.

Now that's a literal firearm! Eryn's eyes widened in surprise. Melty had ignited her entire body in flames at one point, but never a specific area. That must take a lot of control.

"Us hinezumis have evolved for combat." Piromi turned to the open fields. She took several steps forward, making sure she stood far from anyone. "When you grow up, little one... you'll be able to do this!"

Piromi slammed her fist downwards, unleashing a burning wall of flames that crawled in front of her, scorching the fields. The others could feel the intense heat; they weren't even standing close to her!

"That's impressive, Piromi!" Kazumi folded his arms, unfazed by the fiery explosion.

"That's crazy!" Yuki clasped her face.