Chapter 33: The Soldier Beetle

"Let's get the show on the road!" Azusa cheered.

"Yeah!" The three monstergirls replied in unison.

What was supposed to be a trip for school supplies quickly turned into an adventure through the grandest mall for monstergirls in the entire world. Eryn walked behind the monstergirls and Azusa, recollecting his thoughts.

"Mega-Monstah..." His eyes traced a circular structure extending far past the clouds in the sky. This place feels so... magical, like it came straight out of a fantasy. How has he never heard of this mall before? I may not be familiar with monstergirls, but surely a fantastic place like this would catch my attention...?

"Come on, Eryn!" Melty dragged his arm forward. "You're too slow!"

"Easy there, Melty." He let out a soft chuckle. They're awfully excited to explore the mall... and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel the same way.

"So!" Azusa twirled around and clapped her hands. "What are you interested in checking out first, Eryn?"

"Er... should you really be asking me that?" Eryn stroked his chin, putting a hand on his hip. "I don't even know where to start." As he looked around, a variety of stores and structures lined the horizons as far as his eyes could see. And there are multiple floors, aren't they? Floating panels connected from their floor to the upper levels, forming a magical stair of sorts. Not to mention the great diversity of monstergirls going about their day.

"We're on the same page, then." She winked. "I have no idea, either."

"... Even though it was your idea to bring us here?"

"Hey, coming here unprepared is part of the fun!"

"Is it now..." He folded his arms and hummed. Well, I guess we could pick a random direction and see—...

"Excuse me, Eryn Reine."

"Hmmm...?" He turned his head around to see a pair of pure black eyes gazing upon his face. "W-Woah, you're...!"

"Oh, apologies." She took a few steps back and bowed her head. "I did not intend to startle you."

"Ah!" Melty whipped a finger at the woman with the lower body of an insect. "It's the soldier beetle from before!"

"I-Is something the matter?" Eryn cleared his throat. It's gonna take me a while to get used to seeing those insect legs of human proportions...

"I have a question for you." Her insect-like eyes studied the features of his face. "I couldn't help but wonder if you were related to... Ms. Riana Reine?"

"... Oh!" His eyes widened in surprise. Did she notice the name from the ID cards? "We're siblings, actually. I'm her little brother."

"I see." She nodded. "Ms. Riana had asked me to watch over her brother if he ever came to Mega-Monstah."

"Oh, she did...?" He raised a brow.

"Certainly." She nodded once more. "However, I did not expect her brother would come this early." She placed a hand over her chest and bowed at the waist. "I apologize for not accompanying you sooner."

"No, no, it's all right!" Eryn waved both his hands, feeling a tinge of guilt. "Riana didn't tell me anything about this either. Please raise your head!"

"... I see." She raised her head, strapped her lance to her back, then offered her hand. "Then please let me introduce myself. My name is Yvonne."

"O-Oh, uh..." Eryn shook her hand back, her face still devoid of expression. "It's nice to meet you, Yvonne."