Chapter 29: For your sake.

After a nice bath time, Eryn and the monstergirls spent the morning eating breakfast together. Today's menu was a simple style of white rice, fried eggs, and glasses of chocolate milk.

This has become part of my life now. Eryn laid his head on his hand. Every morning was spent together with the monstergirls. To think there would come a time when he wouldn't have to sit by himself in silence. There were days he'd skip breakfast and sleep the day away. What reason was there to wake up if he had nothing to look forward to?

His eyes glanced at each of the monstergirls happily chowing down their food.

"Is Eryn thinking about something?"

"... Hmmm?" He turned his head to Iris, her eyes full of curiosity. Does it look that way? Perhaps he would agree he was lost in thought.

"I was just thinking about how my life has changed." He tapped his fingers on the table. "Ever since I met you three."

"Oh!" Iris nodded. All the monstergirls' ears perked up.

"Do you know how I used to spend my mornings?" He sighed with a smile. "Oftentimes, I would skip breakfast and sleep the day away. There was nothing for me to do."

"That doesn't sound... good, Eryn." Iris shook her head.

"Yeah!" Melty exclaimed in agreement. "Skipping a tasty breakfast isn't good!"

"Mhmm." Lofie would voice a response, but her cheeks were stuffed with food.

"I know." He rubbed his neck. "I didn't take care of myself that much. I felt it wasn't... important."

"Does Eryn still feel that way?" Iris asked.

"... Not anymore." He chuckled. "And I have you three to thank for that."

"... Us?" Iris pointed at herself.

"Yeah." He nodded. "You three... deserve a good life and home here. And I can't take care of you if I don't take care of myself, can I?"

That's what Eryn always felt ever since he adopted the monstergirls into his care. They deserved a life they could live happily. They deserved a place they could call home. They deserved a family. Have I... been able to provide that for them? He hoped he was doing a good job being their owner.

And in doing so, he had to change himself for the better. For the sake of the monstergirls. And one of those changes was maintaining a consistent morning routine. Waking himself up and the monstergirls, bathing the monstergirls, and preparing their breakfast. It's my responsibility... and I find myself looking forward to them each day.

"Eryn..." a soft smile formed on the catgirl's lips. Iris had felt nothing but love and cared for ever since he adopted her into the family. She also felt extremely fortunate that she could have her sisters by her side.

"That's not good, Eryn!" Melty slammed her glass of milk on the table.

"... It's not?" Eryn blinked, raising a brow. Wait, why isn't that good?

"Eryn should still be taking care of himself!" She exclaimed. "Eryn shouldn't only be doing this for our sakes."

He stared at the little hinezumi. "... Huh?"

"That's right," Lofie added, having swallowed her food. "If we never met Eryn, does that mean Eryn would never take care of himself?"

"Lofie...?" His eyes switched to the little Anubis. How did the conversation turn into this? It's as if his concerned parents were lecturing him.

"I also wonder, Eryn..." Iris gazed into his blue eyes. "Would Eryn still keep living the same life if we never met?"

"You too, Iris...?" He scratched his cheek. If the eldest one joined in, then he couldn't exactly steer the conversation away. But... I suppose that's a fair question. Before he met the monstergirls, he lived his life without any purpose in mind. Every day would fall into a boring, depressing cycle. A cycle he never tried breaking.