Chapter 6: Family.

"Hum, hum, hum~" Lofie hummed to herself as she drew a picture in the sketchbook. She made good use of the crayon set Eryn gave her.

Iris was sitting next to Lofie on the carpet, waiting for Eryn and Melty's return. He had entrusted her to watch over the house while he was away. She didn't know what to do to pass the time, so she just remained still. How was one supposed to watch the house?

Her eyes darted to the clock. A good amount of time had passed since they left the house. This was beginning to worry her. What if Eryn got into an accident? What if he didn't come back home? She shook her head, trying to rid herself of these negative thoughts. Melty was with him, so Iris knew she'd do something if that was the case.

"Eryn..." Iris whispered his name, longing for his presence. She was rather envious of Melty, who seemed to be getting a lot of his attention recently. Unknown to Eryn, Iris was holding herself back from being too selfish. Although, seeing Melty hog him all to herself... maybe she could stand to be more honest with herself.

She turned to look at Lofie who seemed too busy with drawing. Lofie wasn't one to talk much, but she had no reservations about being honest. Her sharp tongue proved that, after all. If she wanted Eryn's attention, she would ask for it. Maybe she can follow her example?

RING! RING! RING!

"Ah!" Iris's eyes flicked to a ringing smartphone on the table. More accurately, it was vibrating intensely with rumbling sounds. Did Eryn always have two phones? She vaguely remembered him taking a phone with him before jogging. Anyhow, she thought it would be rather rude to leave it hanging, so she walked up to it and picked up the phone. From her countless observations at the previous shelter, she knew how to answer a smartphone. Maybe this is what Eryn meant when he told her to watch the house.

"Hello!" Iris greeted cheerfully, holding the phone with her two hands.

"Hey, you finally answered, Eryn! Do you know how hard I've been trying to contact you? Jeez, where the hell have you..." A female voice answered. Her voice trailed off towards the end as the person realized something was... off about the voice answering back.

"... Wait a minute." She stopped. "You're not... Eryn, are you? You sure don't sound like him."

"Ahm, hello!" Iris greeted again. "I am not Eryn!"

"Huh.... Did I...?" She paused for a moment. Iris could hear muttering something about having the wrong number through the phone, but she realized she called the right number.

"Eryn is outside." Iris replied. "He's not at home now."

"Oh? So he's not at home..." She answered with a hint of surprise. "May I... know your name?"

"My name is Iris!" she replied.

"Iris... that's a lovely name you have."

"Yes! Eryn gave me that name." Iris nodded and smiled.

"He... gave you that name?" Her voice grew with confusion. "Iris, uhm... do you know when Eryn will be back?"

"I... don't know." Iris said in a sad tone.

"I see." She stopped to think for a moment. "Iris... what is your relationship with Eryn?"

"He's my owner!" Iris beamed.

"Your owner...?" she asked in a concerned manner, unsure of the context behind her words. "He hasn't done anything bad to you, has he?"

"No, no!" Iris shook her head. "He's the kindest and nicest person! I'm very grateful to him!"