Chapter 11: Azusa!

"So one day, you decided to adopt three monstergirls on impulse?"

"That... pretty much sums it up."

After introducing themselves, Eryn and Azusa were having a conversation about the monstergirls. Seeing him with monstergirl children was not what she expected to see after seven years of no contact.

"Doesn't it seem like a huge responsibility?"

"It does." He sighed, shifting his gaze to his nonexistent couch. "I've... faced my fair share of challenges already."

"But you believe it's worth it, don't you?" Azusa grinned.

"... Haha." Eryn let out a soft chuckle. Though it's only been two days, seeing the monstergirls' little smiles made it all worth it.

"Say, if you need someone to help take care of them, look no further than your dear Azusa!" she slammed her fist to her chest proudly.

Her words stirred an immediate reaction from Lofie, who simply snapped her gaze away and hugged Eryn.

"Ouch." Azusa sighed deeply. That hurt me more than I would like.

"Haha, I don't think I need help right now." Eryn stroked Lofie's hair affectionately. "I appreciate the thought, though."

"Come on, it could be fun!" Azusa clapped her hands together. "I could be their-"

"I don't need a grandma." Lofie scoffed, sticking her tongue out at her.

"Pfft..." Eryn covered his mouth to restrain his laugh. That's rather mean of you to say, Lofie.

"G-Grandma?!" Azusa slammed her palms to the floor. She REALLY dislikes me. "I am not that old, I'll have you know! And don't laugh at that, Eryn! You meanie!"

"Sorry, sorry." Eryn coughed a few times into his fist. Hold your laugh, Eryn.

"I was thinking I could be their... you know, big sister?" Azusa winked. "A dependable, big sister they can rely on! Yeah!"

"A big sister, huh?" Eryn nodded.

"You're too big to be our sister." Lofie huffed in the same dry tone.

"Wha–..." Azusa's mouth went agape in a comical fashion. Is she calling me fat? To hear those words from a child really didn't sit right with her. She sounds too honest!

"Lofie, you shouldn't really say those things to Azusa." Eryn let out a soft chuckle. "She means well."

"Mhngnh..." Lofie nuzzled her head into Eryn's chest. "I only need Eryn. No one else."

"Welp." Eryn briefly raised his shoulders and gave Azusa a sympathetic smile. "You heard the little girl, Azusa. She says she only needs me."

"Wipe that smug look off your face." Azusa crossed her arms in a pouty manner. It's so unfair!

"Well..." Eryn shifted his attention to the other two monstergirls. "Maybe they'd like to talk with you­–..."

Iris and Melty stared at Azusa, then at each other. They clung on to Eryn's shirt, feeling wary of his best friend. They weren't hostile towards her as Lofie was, but they preferred to be closer to Eryn.

"... or not."

"Ugh..." Azusa felt two imaginary arrows shoot through her heart. Getting rejected by such cute children is the worst... "How did you get them to be so attached to you? Why are they so attached to you?"

"I don't know, honestly." Eryn puffed his cheeks. "Iris was the one who found me first."

"Iris found you?" Azusa blinked twice. "What?"