Wide Awake

Demi's POV

"I'm really sorry about Marissa tonight, I don't know what got into her." I apologised again to Lia, while putting our glasses in the sink to wash them up.
"Demi, seriously you've apologised 6 times now, it was okay even before an apology, don't worry about it." She tried to reassure me, coming over to where I stood and standing beside me. I frowned a little, uncertain of what I should do.
"I swear she's never like that, I guess she just got a bit..excited.." I tried to explain. I looked at Lia to see her leaning on her palms on the edge of the counter by the draining board, her head dropped down a little but a beautiful white smile on show. My stomach fluttered a little as I admired her smile.
"I think we all got a bit excited to be quite honest." Lia added. I sighed a little as I laughed, shaking my head.
"She was being weird though, like she should've known that her daring me to kiss you was.." I trailed off the end of my sentence, unsure of how to phrase it.
"Was what?" Lia asked.
"I don't know, she shouldn't have expected it to happen I guess..not that I wouldn't..I mean like..god I don't even know." I struggled to construct a sentence. Did I actually just say that? Of course I would've kissed you! Such an idiot Demi.
"Um.." Lia hummed, probably freaked out now.
"Sorry I don't know what I was trying to say, just forget I said anything." I tried to laugh it off.
"Demi.." She said my name softly, her hand reaching over and resting on my arm. My eyes darted to her hand, unable to make eye contact.
"I know what you meant..it wasn't entirely unreasonable though I mean..it was just a game..I would've.." She spoke, also struggling to make a fluent sentence. I looked up to her eyes, letting mine bore into hers for a few seconds.
"Um..I'm gonna go do- get the bed- yeah um..sort the bed out.." I choked on my words, stumbling over them as they fell out of my mouth. I gave her a smile before hurrying off to my room.

*****

I laid in my bed staring at the ceiling at the shape of the lamp shade's shadow from where my bedside lamp glowed on it. Lia was in the bathroom, but I'm pretty sure she was almost finished. I can't believe I said I would've kissed her. I actually don't know what's more unbelievable: that I said I'd kiss her or that she said she'd kiss me too. It lead my thoughts back to what she'd told Marissa about who she liked, maybe she knew maybe she didn't. Did she or didn't she?
"Hey." I was snapped out of my deep thought by Lia's voice and the closing of the bathroom door. She stood wearing an oversized sweatshirt and some pyjama shorts, her hair pulled up into a top knot, and her glasses sitting in their place on her stunning makeup-free face.
"Hey." I mimicked her. She smiled at made her way round to the other side of the bed, carefully climbing up onto it and in between the sheets.
"Do you ever sleep on this side of the bed?" She asked me as she laid back. I smiled a little, then felt myself blush as I remembered the one time I slept there.
"I have. Once." I admitted, not going into detail. I heard her turn her head to face me, so I did the same, our eyes meeting in the middle of the bed.
"Just once? What was it a special occasion or something?" She giggled at my weirdness.
"Hm, something like that." I told her, a new lump in my throat forming as I found it difficult to speak as I stared at her eyes.
"What was the occasion?" She asked me, her voice seeming to become quieter. I bit my lip and sighed a little, knowing that laying here face to face with her, looking into her eyes, I couldn't lie. I couldn't make something up to protect myself from revealing my feelings for her.
"Just..you.." I say in almost a whisper. Her eyes widened a little and her cheeks filled with red. I diverted my eyes from hers before explaining.
"You know before when you stayed here, right there where you're laying right now..?" I asked her, my eyes still not able to meet with hers.
"Yes, of course I do.." She told me, her voice such a low whisper it was almost inaudible.
"The night after. That's the one time I've ever slept on that side." I whispered. I couldn't bring myself to look at her, scared of what her expression might be. I was pretty sure that the butterflies in my stomach were actually not in my stomach but all over my body at this point.
"Demi.." I heard her say my name. I closed my eyes and opened them again, looking at her beautiful face.
"You're the most amazing person I've ever met." She spoke softly.

Lia's POV

"Demi.." I said her name to get her to look at me. I think my face had gone from a deep beetroot colour to fairly neutral now so it was safe. She looked at me and bit her lip a little. Now, I haid one of two options: 1. Tell her how adorable she is, 2. Kiss her. My stomach flipped at the thought of just pushing everything aside and bringing her face to mine. I'm not the type of person who just kisses people spontaneously. Although, I could be, I've never actually kissed anyone, or been kissed.
"You're the most amazing person I've ever met." I chickened out of option 2. "You're so caring, and talented, and absolutely gorgeous, I am the luckiest girl in the world to actually be able to say I know you, and be your friend." What a cringe. I can't believe I said that. I should've just kissed her.
"You're so special to me. I knew there was something about you when you came in at the meet and greet. I could just tell, and I think acting upon that feeling was one of the best decisions I've ever made." She told me. Again, my stomach flipped, and then flipped several more times.
"Can we take these off please?" Demi whispered, extending her hands towards my face and pulling off my glasses. I squinted a little at everything in my sight, seeing nothing but blurry shapes.
"I can't see your face very clearly now but..I already know it's beautiful." Seriously Lia you sound like a valentines card.
"You're cute." Demi said quietly, continuing the hush of our voices. There was no particular reason as to why we had decreased to whispers, I'm pretty sure the walls are quite thick.
"You're cute." I argued, mimicking her. She smiled and shook her head a little, with some difficulty as she laid on her side. I closed my eyes as to avoid straining them from not wearing my glasses, and bit my lip.
"You know what Mar said earlier.." I whispered, my eyes still closed. "..when we talked about knowing who we are like..who we like.." I contined to attempt to speak.
"You mean the little comment about me.." Demi picked up on my point.
"I'm not going to deny anything to you it's impossible to lie to those eyes," Demi said to me as I re-opened my eyes.
"It wasn't a joke from her..but it wasn't entirely true either..she said about her "gaydar" right? And that I didn't have to tell her for her to know. I wasn't the one to go to her about it, she came to me and she asked me upfront if I was gay. I told her no." Demi explained. Wait, she's not? Millions of feelings rushed through my mind at Demi's words. How is this possible?
"She was shocked at my answer and then I went on to explain that I was bi, not gay." Demi spoke again. Literally, too many emotions running through me right now, confusion a big part of it.
"So, you're bi?" I asked her. She smiled and nodded.
"I should've said sooner, I just don't think of it as something I need to say really. I mean you wouldn't meet someone and say 'oh by the way, I'm straight'." She laughed a little, explaining her reasoning behind not saying, and also making me laugh.
"Well no I wouldn't be telling people I was straight..that would be a lie.." I spoke, my voice gradually getting quieter as the sentence progressed, and each word fell out of my mouth.
"Would it now?" Demi asked after a few seconds.
"Yeaaah..I'm pretty sure..although you could say I wouldn't know because I've never been with anyone but..I feel like I know and that's what I know.." I managed to say. She lifted her hand and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear so it was out of my face.
"You never cease to amaze me Lia. I love that about you. There are so many amazing surprises about you, I can't wait to find out more.." Demi whispered. My mind raced. 'I love that about you'..I love that..I love..I love you, Demi...