Cover Your Tracks

Lia's POV

"Are we gonna talk about what happened last night?" Demi finally broke the silence which had been looming on us ever since I got up and sat at the breakfast bar. I remained silent.
"No? You're not gonna explain why you submerged yourself in the bath and then didn't sleep in your bed? Where were you all night?" Demi questioned me. I shrugged.
"About." I spoke quickly. Demi rolled her eyes and let her head rest in her hands.
"That's it? About?" I simply nodded at her response, and got up from my chair.
"I sat on the roof for a while, slept on the sofa, and then when Saph got home she let me sleep in her room." I told her. It was entirely true.
"Why didn't you just come to bed?" Demi asked me. I shrugged again.
"I wanted to be alone." I said in a sigh. Demi also sighed before she spoke.
"Well I don't think that's such a good idea since I had to pull you up from below the surface of your bath yester-"
"Maybe it's not your place to make my life choices." I raised my voice a little, growing more and more frustrated as she went on at me.
"I have work, so if you don't mind, I'll be on my way." I stated, and walked away from her, grabbing my usual work shoes and my keys, and heading out the door.

Demi's POV

"I know when there's something wrong. I feel like she's slipping into bad habits and I don't like it." I spoke through the phone to Marissa, while clearing up about the house.
"Maybe she needs space, or love or something." Marissa replied. I sighed.
"I haven't been the easiest person to be around lately, but she's not exactly helping that. It's not entirely my fault." I argued, not wanting to be in the wrong.
"But Demi it's not her fault either. That girl slaves to get enough money to live, I've never known someone to work so much, maybe you need to take her away or something, get out of town for a while." Marissa suggested.
"She'd never go." I muttered.
"Wouldn't she? Or, do you not want to go, in case of the paps?" She didn't hesitate to question my one true worry.
"That's not fair Mar." I answered.
"You have to get over the fact that people are gonna try and take pictures of you, it's up to you to decide whether or not you want Lia to be in them, and if you want your thing to be revealed-"
"I don't, I can't Mar no way. No one can know" I interrupted.
"Why not? What could be so awful about it?" She questioned.
"I could end up a nobody in this industry, mistakes like that-"
"It's not a mistake to love someone." Marissa cut me off, leaving me speechless. After a few seconds, I replied.
"There's a lot of stigma around gay couples, Mar. I've already nearly lost my life by going to rehab what good is coming out gonna do?"
"Look how you've bounced back from rehab though, all your fans, everyone, they were still here, waiting. You think they're gonna run just because you're dating a girl?" Marissa questioned again.
"I don't know, maybe." I said quietly.
"Take her somewhere. Talk to your mom about your beach house, that's private land no paps can get there anyway." Marissa suggested.
"Okay, I'm not promising anything." I half agreed.
"That's fine. You can't keep obsessing over the paparazzi Dems it'll ruin your relationship." Marissa sighed.
"Bye Mar." I also sighed, ending the call.

I sat for a while, thinking about what she'd said. Maybe a get away wouldn't be so bad. I picked up my phone again and dialled my mom's number.
"Hey, are you home?"

Lia's POV

"You're really not yourself today Lee," Tess, my only friend at work, kept on at me. She called me Lee, because obviously two whole syllables to complete my name is far to much to handle. I was used to it by now, but it would never stop being slightly irritating.
"Tess, I'm just having a rough week. I'm fine." I argued, for the fifth time today.
"But you're just not gonna talk about it? Is it family stuff?" She asked. I scoffed unintentionally, but far too obviously. I couldn't back track now.
"What family." I muttered, loud enough for her to hear, in a tone she wouldn't question.
"Is it your girl?" She asked again, not lingering on the family thing.
"Oh my gosh can you just leave it?" I half exclaimed, raising my voice more than intended.
"Harrington." I hear my boss's voice from behind me call out my surname.
"John." I said as I turned to face him.
"Out the back. Now." He said strictly, as he turned on his heel and rushed off. I turned back to Tess and glared at her. Yeah, thanks a lot Tess, I thought before dragging myself out the back.