Silent Night

Demi's POV

"Mom I do know that Santa isn't real you know.." Maddie spoke up as Mom tried to keep up the Santa act.
"That's not the Christmas spirit we're looking for Mads." Lia chuckled, giving my sister a soft smile.

I had Lia sitting on my lap on the armchair in my parents living room, her back against one arm and her legs over the other. I had one arm round her back and one holding hers sitting on her stomach. I always spent Christmas with my family. Ever since missing it one year due to being in rehab, I can't miss it. Ever. There's nothing that means more to me than my family. Missing being with them that year made it harder to go long periods of time without seeing them, so of course I'd take advantage of getting to see them. Dallas was sat on the couch opposite Lia and I with Mom on her right, and Rob on her left.  Dad sat on his armchair next to the couch, which was placed conveniently in the perfect line for the TV, and Maddie was spread out on the floor, her job of hanging the stockings completed.

"Well, I'm just saying. Besides, Demi told me so there's no way you can try to make me believe you again." She giggled, giving me a cheeky look.
"You did not just tell on me!" I gasped, making Lia jump as I reacted.
"Demi I thought you'd stopped pulling stuff like this!" Mom spoke up, realising what Maddie just said.
"Okay hold up a second, I never told her that Santa-"
"You're gonna end up digging your own grave if you try to save yourself now babe," Lia said calmly to me. I looked at her and immediately melted as my eyes met mine.
"You shouldn't have told Maddie that, should you?" She asked. I bit my lip and shook my head.
"Yes, Demi. You shouldn't have said that!" My mom added, breaking my moment with Lia.
"Okaaaay, I'm sorry. I did it. But she's 10, you can't expect her to believe it anymore."
"But you told me-"
"Maddieee," I whined, knowing she'd then tell Mom that I actually told her two years ago.
"In my defense, I haven't pulled shit like this in so long," I tried to defend myself.
"Demi, language." Dad added from the other side of the room. I shot him an innocent smile before going back to defending myself.
"Last time was when she was like, 4 years old. And she doesn't even remember." I added.
"Yeah but you did try to make her curse all the time." Dallas jumped in on it too.
"Is no one on my side here? Rob?" I pleaded.
"Nope, sorry girl. You're on your own with this one." He chuckled.
"Lia?" I turned to her hopefully. She was grinning at Maddie, and I knew Rob was right.
"Sorry babe but..I think you crossed the line here.." She spoke cautiously. I let my jaw drop open a little as I sat in shock at my family.
"Wow okay so much for always sticking up for each other." I spoke moodily.
"We are..we're just sticking up for Maddie." Dallas spoke for the family.
"Demi come on we're just messing with you." Lia said as she ran her thumb back and forth over the back of my hand.
"But you're all picking on me.." I stuck my bottom lip out.
"Put that lip away now before I do." Lia spoke slightly under her breath as she knew what she was saying would be taken the wrong way by everyone in the room, including Maddie. I smirked and poked it out more.
"Dems stop being so grumpy we're just kidding. Someone at school told me before you did anyway." Maddie revealed, earning shocked reactions from everyone.
"I'm waiting." I whispered to Lia, now that everyone's attention was away from me. I emphasised my bottom lip poking out and moved my head closer to Lia's.
"Later baby, not now." She whispered back, lightly pressing her finger to my lips.
"I just want a kiss." I persisted.
"Just one." She haggled.
"Fine."
"Fine."

She giggled and leaned in, as did I, meeting her in the middle before she captured my lip in between hers, and synced her lips with mine creating a perfect rhythm, as always. I slowly deepened it, hoping she wouldn't notice, but as soon as I did she pulled away.
"I said one." She raised her eyebrows a little.
"That was one." I argued.
"Demi, later. I promise." She smirked a little, filling my stomach with uncontrollable butterflies. I pecked her cheek and leaned back, turning my attention back to everyone else, who I found giggling to each other and looking at Lia and I.
"What?" I challenged, not liking that they seemed to be laughing at us.
"Why do you always get so defensive? We're just having a good time, it is Christmas Eve after all." My Mom attempted to cover up their strange behavior.
"But you could get a room you know." Maddie burst out laughing as she spoke, causing Lia to start chuckling a little, and everyone else joined in, leaving me with a bright red face and no reason to laugh at all.
"I'm just getting into the Christmas spirit, it is Christmas Eve after all." I repeated my Mom's words.