Stone Cold

*POSSIBLE TRIGGER WARNING*

Lia's POV 

We had agreed to meet at Demi's apartment. Not that she would admit it, but she didn't want to be caught outside with me again. She had moved out of the sober living house, and into a new apartment, in a block with mainly elderly residents. I had no idea where it was, but Marissa had agreed to pick me up and take me there. She said Demi had to move apartments because she couldn't shake the paps. 

I sat at the window of Saph's house, watching Marissa pull into the drive. No one was here, it was just me, so I got up, picked up my bag and left, locking the door behind me. It was June 1st, and quite hot, what with it being LA. I headed over to the car, pulling open the passenger door and climbing in. 
"Hey." Marissa said, leaning over to hug me. I hugged her back, resting my head on her shoulder. In the whole mess of the situation, Marissa had never been anything but kind to me, despite Demi thinking it was all my fault. Of course, Mar's loyalties lied with Demi, understandably, but she would never do anything to spite me. 
"How have you been?" She asked me as we set off. 
"Okay I guess. What about you?" I asked her back. She shrugged.
"I've been okay, just a bit out of touch with everyone. I mean, I've seen you as much as I've seen Demi." She told me. The sound of Demi's name sent a shot of pain through my chest. I had a bad feeling about today. 
"Oh..." I sighed, not really knowing how to respond. 
"She wants to see you though. When I told her I'd been talking to Rose about this, she wasn't hesitant at all." She tried to make me feel better, clearly sensing the anxiety. I nodded and started to chew on my lip. 
"I don't know what to think of it all." I said. 
"What do you mean?" She responded. I shrugged. 
"We haven't seen each other in weeks. It's hardly going to go back to normal is it, whatever normal is. What is there to talk about? Surely, the damage is done after what I did-"
"Lia it wasn't your fault, nor was it Demi's but you can't blame yourself. There's no escaping these things in this industry." I sighed. She was right, but my mind wouldn't accept that. I had told myself this was all my fault, and that is what I believed. 
"Yeah." I didn't agree, but I was far too tired for a debate. I'm sure there's more caffeine than blood running through my veins now, since that night. I've barely slept. 
"It'll be okay. I know that's not what you want to hear but, I don't really know what else to say..." She drifted off the end of her sentence. I nodded.
"I don't expect you..or anyone to know what to say. This isn't your fight." I told her. She shook her head and sighed.
"It doesn't have to be a fight." She said quietly. I shrugged.
"I guess." I said bluntly. Nothing more was said, and Marissa pulled out of the driveway, and we went on our way. 

I grew increasingly more anxious each mile we drove, I remembered the way to Demi's, how could I forget? So I knew exactly how long we had left, and which turns we were about to take, but the nerves got worse, even though I knew what to expect from the journey. I jumped a little as Marissa's phone started to ring. It was sat on the arm rest beside her. I looked down and saw Demi's name, and looked away straight away, turning my head to the window. Marissa must have looked at it.
"I'm sorry I'll need to answer that..can you accept the call?" She asked me. I said nothing, but lifted my hand and accepted the call.
"Mar?" I heard Demi's voice crack through the speaker, and my stomach dropped to my feet.
"Hey Dems I'm on my way you're on speaker I'm driving." Marissa said quickly, clearly wanting Demi to be aware that I was here.
"Oh..right sorry uh, I just wondered when you'd get here?" She asked. Marissa looked at the time and her surroundings. 
"15, won't be long." She said. She was very blunt, but then again so was Demi.
"Okay, bye." Demi said, and hung up. I sighed a little with...relief? Which made no sense; how could I barely endure 30 seconds of Demi's voice? I was just about to have a full blown conversation with her and I can't handle a single word from her. I sighed again.
"I'm sorry I didn't know she'd call." Marissa apologized, sensing my distress. 
"It's fine, it's not like I won't have to talk to her myself soon anyway, maybe that helped." I tried to make her feel better.