City Lights

Demi's POV

"So on the days we had off you decided to colour your hair again?" Simon said to me as we were sat in the dressing room. Yes, I was back at X Factor, being a judge, spending today in New York for the last of the bootcamp round. And yes, I was spending this day, with Simon Cowell.

"Yeah I did actually, did you too? Those gray highlights look really good." I snapped back at him, knowing I'd have to keep up with his shots at me throughout the day.

"Demi we've been back for about half an hour and already you're being mean to me." He moaned, looking around him for support, but receiving only a few smiles or chuckles from the prep-team.

"Well since you're actually here on time for once I thought I'd make a start." I fired once again. He raised his eyebrows and laughed, irritating the woman dabbing stuff on his face as he kept moving.

"Come on Simon, keep still now those wrinkles won't fill themselves in." I said again, leaning forward in my chair as my makeup artist finished on my face. I brushed my finger under my eye lightly, and jumped up out my chair, grabbing my coffee and sitting on the couch.

"You're really not in a good mood today are you?" He asked as he also stood up, and sat on the couch opposite me. I looked up and raised my eyebrows.

"Simon; 12 hours ago I was in LA. I had to get a plane over night, I hardly got any sleep, and now I'm here in New York. I have a full face of makeup on, and I'm gonna have to wear an uncomfortable outfit, and sit in a chair all day. And to top that, it's 9:30am. Surely you know by now that I am not a morning person." I explained to him in the kindest tone available at this hour.

"Okay I'll be nice to you today. Will that help you?" He asked. I was unsure if he was being sarcastic or genuinely nice. I gave him a sarcastic smile anyway.

"Thanks." I muttered as I dropped my head back to my phone.

"So when did the hair go blue?" He tried to keep the conversation going. Come on Demi at least try, I thought to myself.

"That happened yesterday. I was out in LA all day yesterday." I told him. He nodded, but had a slight frown upon his face.

"Out in public? What was the occasion?" He tried to mock me, knowing how much I truly hated the paps.

"Yes, out in public, but I didn't take my car so I didn't get recognised." I half answered his question.

"And the occasion?" He re-asked.

"I was showing a friend around." I said, giving minimal information. He squinted at me before chucking like he does.

"And I presume you took your 'friend's' car?" He asked more questions, gesturing air quotations as he said friend.

"Yeah I did." I remained blunt.

"Was that his idea?" Simon asked with a smug look on his face. What the..his? He thinks..ugh I hate him.

"Yeah yeah, it was her idea to." I replied, emphasising that I was not out with a guy.

"Oh, sorry." He apologised, knowing he'd crossed a line by assumption.

"She lives in LA but had never seen real LA. So we went out and she got a tattoo and I got my hair done." I continued to emphasise the fact that I was out with a girl. That way, he'd assume Lia was nothing more than a friend. Which of course was far from the truth.

"Okay okay I understand. I said sorry didn't I?" He defended himself. I shrugged and took a sip of my coffee, then focused my attention on my phone again.