Firework

Demi's POV

"Maddie can you come help me carry all these I need more hands!" I called from my parents' kitchen to my little sister who was without a doubt in the living room practicing the splits.
"Maddie!" I called again, attempting to pick up a dozen packs of both hot dog buns and burger buns for the annual De La Garza/Lovato Fourth of July BBQ. I let out a huff as at least 4 packs of buns fell from my grip and onto the floor. I put the remaining ones back on the counter and bent down to pick up the ones I'd dropped.
"And you're meant to be setting a good example for your little sister, but you forgot your manners." I heard Maddie's voice at the kitchen entrance. I looked up at her and cocked my head to the side, raising my eyebrows.
"I'm sorry. But it would be rude of you to just stand there and watch me struggle so..help me pleeeaaaseee." I gave her a helpless smile which I knew she'd accept. She stood up straight and came towards me.
"That's better." She said to me as she grabbed some packets from the counter.
"You could always take more than one trip out to dad, you don't have to carry them all at once.." She told me as she headed for the back yard, a grin spread across her face. I gave her a sarcastic smile and stood up, following her out.

"Demi honey it's almost 3pm can you and Dallas please listen out for the door people are gonna be here soon." My mom ordered as she rushed past me from the dining room, carrying a plate with stacks of raw burgers on it.
"Yeah sure." I muttered, my tone flat. I always enjoyed our Fourth of July BBQ's, but it meant I had to be a social butterfly, and talk to all the guests, and every conversation I ever had with any close friend or relative ended up about my recovery, and I just didn't want to talk about it, not today anyway. I really didn't need people asking me if I wanted more to eat or if I'd had enough, or if I'd eaten at all, it just brought my attention to what I was eating, and made me feel horrible about myself. I wandered into the living room and sat down on the couch, pulling my phone out my pocket and opening my texts with Lia.

D - Are you almost here?Xx

I sent it and locked my phone, laying it face down on my leg. Lia and I had spoken about her coming to Texas to stay with my family, but when I suggested it she seemed a little hesitant, and I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable at all. When I came to stay at my parents' house 2 weeks ago, mom had asked if I wanted to invite anyone other than Marissa, Natalie, Holly and Tiffany, so she could get invites sorted out. Almost instantly I just said Lia's name to her, then told her I'd do the invite since she didn't know her. I of course then had to explain to my mom who she was, and ugh it was just something I didn't want to talk about with her, because she just questioned absolutely everything. I haven't seen Lia in almost 3 weeks, because I've been staying here at my parents' LA house, and she was getting in all the work she could, working practically every day, I barely got to talk to her. We'd spend some time on the phone, and spent quite a lot of time texting though.

"Someone get the door! Demi! Dallas!" Mom called through the house, her voice echoing through the rooms. I sighed and went to stand up to open the door, which I had been oblivious to.
"I got it Dems." Dallas said to me as she walked through to the front door. I smiled and sighed again.
"Thanks Dal." I called back to her. As she opened the door, my phone started to ring, causing my hand to instantly unlock and answer it.
"Lia aren't you driving?!" I almost shrieked immediately after I accepted the call. I know she'd borrowed Sapphire's car today since I was house bound helping my mom and couldn't go get her.
"I'm hands free Dems you're on speaker." She said infectiously calmly, causing me to relax as she spoke.
"Are you almost here? I need you." I whined, slumping back into the sofa.
"Yeah I'm literally like 2 minutes away, well, so the voice on the satnav keeps telling me." I heard her get all frustrated at the automated voice spoke again.
"Fuck off." She muttered under breath, almost inaudible, but just about.
"You okay princess?" I giggled, her cursing was for some reason funny to me.
"Don't laugh okay it's pissing me off." She sighed. I bit my lip and scrunched up my face.
"I need a hug okay, you better answer the door don't leave it to Dallas or Maddie or-"
"Lia? I'll get the door don't panic now. I promise today will be fun." I cut her off, not letting her anxiety get to her.
"Okay. I have to go before I throw this stupid satnav and smash the screen." She huffed.
"I'll see you soon." I said, before hanging up. I shoved my phone in my pocket and stood up, heading over to the front door to wait for her.