All Of The Stars

Lia's POV

As we drove along the highway to get to the other side of town, where this beach house was, I thought it would be best if I told Saph and Rose. I pulled my phone out of my pocket, and saw Demi look down at my hands fiddling with my pockets. I got up Rose's number, knowing Saph was out with her parents and her brother tonight. I dialed her number and held it to my ear. Demi was confused.
"Hello?" She answered quickly, quietly. Of course, she'd probably just got Ember down to sleep. It was quite difficult to adjust to your best friend having a new baby. It just slips your mind.
"Hey, it's only me." I answered, as if she hadn't just seen my name pop up on her phone as she picked up.
"Is everything alright?" She asked me. That was probably hers and Saph's go to question whenever they talked to me. Just in case.
"Yeah everything's fine." I told her. Demi's parent's were having a conversation with each other and Maddie, they were all quite animated and loud, so as much as I didn't particularly want to, I had to speak up.
"I just wanted to let you know that I'm gonna be away this weekend, just a spontaneous getaway really." I informed her.
"Oh, right. With Demi?" She asked.
"Yeah, and her family. Just to her beach house. So I'm gonna be out of town, that's all." I continued.
"Right, that's good though, right?" She asked me. I bit my lip.
"I think so, yeah. I hope so. " I added.
"Good. When are you back then?" She asked me.
"Monday I guess, I'm back at work on Tuesday so." I told her.
"Woah, you haven't had that much time off work in a row since as long as I can remember." She chuckled. I smiled, still biting my lip.
"I know, I've been treated. But anyway, I just didn't want you to worry, or think I'd taken off for any bad reason, I don't even know what but I know what you and Saph are like." I explained myself.
"No it's cool, I mean yeah, thanks for the heads up I would've worried myself sick. But I hope you have a great time." She said.
"Thanks, I'll try."
"Good. I'll see you when you're back then, maybe come visit Ember on Monday." She suggested. I nodded, not that she could see.
"Yeah sure."
"Okay, I'm only a call away if you need me though, love you Lia." She said, even quieter.
"Yeah, thank you. Love you too. Bye." I hung up the call and slid my phone back into my pocket.
"Who was that?" Demi asked me, leaving it a few seconds before doing so.
"Rose, just wanted to let her know I'd be away." I told her.
"Ah, okay."

No more words were exchanged the entire journey. I continued to stare out of the window of the car. I was sat in the back, with Demi and Maddie. I sat on the right hand side of the car, by the window, Demi beside me in the middle seat, and Maddie on her left. The car was a seven seat, so Dallas and Rob were able to fit in the seats in the very back of the car, and Demi's parent's held the front seats. As I observed the nightlife around me, I felt something touch my hand, and I almost flinched as it was completely unexpected, but I stopped myself, knowing it was a feeble attempt to act normal. Demi took my hand in hers, and held it there. It wasn't awkward, but it sure didn't feel quite right. It had been far too long since Demi and I had shared something even slightly intimate, holding hands, a hug, a kiss, nothing. So maybe, just maybe, this trip would save what was left of our relationship.

Demi's POV

"I think my dad's setting up a fire on the beach, a little further down. Do you want to go with everyone or stay here?" I asked Lia, as she rummaged through the bag I packed for her.
"Yeah sure, that'll be nice." She answered. I smiled a little, expecting rejection.
"I'll um..meet you down there?" I suggested, not sure of where I stood with her right now.
"No, just wait I'll come down with you, I just need to find some flip flops and shorts to put on." She told me.
"Okay, do you need a hand?" I offered.
"Um yeah, you are shocking at packing things I can't find a damn thing." She chuckled a little. I walked over to her and stood beside her, tugging at various items of clothing that I packed in not such an orderly manner.
"Here." I said, pulling out one flip flop, and then the other.
"Did you even pack shorts? I can't- oh, never mind." Lia began to give me a scolding before finding a pair of shorts.
"Yes, I did." I answered her question anyway.