Forever Changed

Demi's POV

I sat on the floor in my bedroom of my apartment, rummaging through the boxes of my things. I'd started packing stuff up a few weeks ago, after my management thought it would be best for me to stay at a sober living house for a while, probably a good 6 months or even more. I didn't argue. Being in the mindset I'm in now, I think of how I can be the healthiest in the way I live, and if being around others in the same situation as myself could help me in my recovery, and keep me on track, I'd do it. My sister, Dallas, agreed to stay here all the while I was in the sober house, her and her boyfriend, Rob, were house hunting anyway, as they currently lived in his one bedroom apartment, and said they'd stay until they found a place, then they would just go round and check in every now and then.

I piled some clothes up and gathered my toiletries in a bag, adding it to the top of the pile, then going to get my bag. Lia and I had been texting throughout the week, and she'd told me to bring stuff to sleep in. She also broke it to Sapphire that I was going to be staying in her house, and apparently she hasn't stopped cleaning since. I didn't need to be impressed by a clean house, mine wasn't exactly spotless all the time.

Hearing the sound of Max's car horn outside, I shoved all my stuff into my bag, grabbed my phone and keys from the counter and headed out to meet him. I'd had him explain to me why I shouldn't drive my car to Lia's house, and insist he take me there instead, because of paps following me and things like that. He cared a lot more than I did about that. But I knew he was right.

"Got everything?" He asked as I threw my bag on the back seat and climbed into the passenger side.

"Yeah just about. It's been a while since I've been on a sleepover. I'm always the one to hold them." I told him, laughing a little. He smiled and pulled out of his parking space, heading off down the roads.

"It's been a while since you've made a friend at a meet and greet..or..wait that's never happened.." He mocked me. I frowned at him.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I questioned, not liking his tone.

"I'm just saying, are you sure this girl isn't using you for something? I mean, how well do you really know her?" He asked me some questions. I rolled my eyes and faced the road.

"Have you ever met someone, and just clicked with them? Like, you didn't even have to spend ages getting to know them to have a good relationship with them, or when you're with them, it's not like you're learning the things about them, but like you already know them, and you're just being reminded of all these things about them like you already knew it. Has that ever happened to you?" I asked him, the thought of Lia not leaving my mind once while I asked. He didn't respond for a good minute.

"When I met my wife. We married after 6 months of knowing each other. Nothing in my life has ever felt more right than her." He told me in few but so meaningful words.

"You see? People click like that sometimes. It's rare; beautiful. I met Lia almost 2 months ago now. She's a great person, and we get along so well she's not even just a friend to me, she's like Marissa, or Natalie, I feel so comfortable around her." I explained further to Max, of course leaving out the part where Lia and I kiss and stuff.

"Don't go running off and eloping in 4 months though eh." He chuckled. I felt my cheeks turn pink and I took too long to find an answer, my silence being enough to give Max the truth.

"Oh Demi you haven't.." He trailed off the end of his sentence, but I knew what he was going to say.

The thing about Max was that he wasn't like a bodyguard anymore. Of course, it was his job, and he still did his duties of protecting me, sticking by me in swarms of paps, but we'd built a relationship over the years. He's been my bodyguard for almost 4 years now, he was more like an uncle to me. That uncle who's everyone's favourite. And he knew me; he knew me like any of my closest friends did.