Chapter 38

Muffled voices crawled in his ears, slowly pulling him out of the peaceful, quiet abyss he fell into. It was like carefully letting his body float to the surface where every noise got louder and more upsetting by every passing second.

"Here's the water." he heard someone desperate, a woman maybe.

"Should we call an ambulance?"

"Fuck, we need to do something!"

"What the hell am I supposed to do?!"

Louis.
The last voice belonged to Louis for sure.

Harry tried to open his eyes, however the bright light blinded him straightway, causing the appearance of a sharp, banging pain in the back of his head. A quiet groan slipped out of his mouth and he forced himself to take a look around. He needed a few seconds to comprehend what was happening, while his eyes focused on the surroundings.

Almost everyone kneeled beside him, only Zayn was standing there, googling something on his phone with a serious look on his face. As all of them seemed worried, Louis was different.
He was broken. Helpless. Desperate.

When he glimpsed at him and saw that Harry was awake, his shoulders sank a bit from the insane amount of relief and a swear word fell from his lips before he rubbed his face.

"Hey love," he whispered, even tho he was still clearly tense. "Can you sit up?"

"I'd rather stay," he mumbled, since every move resulted a stronger wave of thriving pain in his head. "You have a comfortable rug."

The weak joke made only Zayn smile, the others were too worried to appreciate the fact that the fall didn't knock his sense of humour out of his body.

Ellie bit her lower lip and glanced at Liam, who was unusually calm and numb. Like he knew exactly what was going on and didn't feel the need to share it with everyone else in the room.

"I still think you should sit up and put something cold on your head. Right, Liam?" she emphasized the last words to attract his attention.

"Yeah," he nodded, but didn't look away from his best friend. He kept staring at him, before shaking his head and muttering to himself while heading to the kitchen. "Unfortunately we have no idea what just happened, but that could work."

Did they all lose their minds or did Liam really sound sarcastic?

"Okay, look at me!" Blake turned to the younger one and started handling the situation as professional as a doctor would have. "Can you focus on me or do you have a blurry vision?"

" 'm fine..."

"Yeah last time you said that you fainted, so answer the question."

"I can focus." Harry blinked to make sure it was true and not just a lucky second.

"Ringing in the ears?"

"No, but my head hurts like hell."

"Well no shit Sherlock, the rug might be comfortable, but still thin. You hit your head pretty hard, but I don't think there's any signs of concussion. If you feel nauseous even days later, go to a doctor tho, my major is still political science, not medical studies."

"Come baby, I'll help you." Louis held his hand gently, then slowly supported him as he sat up. As soon as they made sure he was strong enough to stay on two feet, the older boy put an arm around his waist and helped him walk back to the couch, where he gladly laid down again.

Liam gave him the pack of frozen vegetables in silence, then stepped back and hugged Blake from behind instead as a way of calming down. He might have not shown any emotions, but the combination of disappointment, concern and anger was something that would slowly eat him up if the comfort of his girlfriend wasn't there.