Chapter 45

Don't break. Don't let them see how weak you are, that would be the death of you.

Louis kept repeating the same words in his head over and over again as the shouting kept going on in the background. He believed if he acted like the words didn't matter at all, his body would adjust to the decision in no time, making it easier to stick to the ideal version of himself.

"You shouldn't be allowed to change in the same room as we do."

Just ignore them.

"We heard about you and your fucked up problem."

They're not worth it.

"Hey, I'm talking to you, faggot!"

Louis felt a grip on his left upper arm, but immediately pushed it off while turning around to look the footballer in the eyes. His face didn't reflect any kind of emotions, however the clenched teeth, the sharp jawline and the intimidating blue eyes gave his thoughts away. He stepped closer to the other and spoke in a dreadfully calm tone.

"Don't touch me. You can say whatever you want, but don't touch me!"

"Why, cause only your boyfriend is allowed to?" the other mocked the gay stereotypes with an offensive hand move, which made the rest of them laugh.

Louis was tired of them, so fucking tired. As soon as the three of them arrived, the other two guys from Norwich decided to ruin his chances immediately and spread all the gay rumours about him. In just a few days, everyone at the training camp heard about it, making the older boy the target of every monster who had more hunger for success than empathy in them. It was easier to be part of the hater group than stand out for the victim, anyway.

He didn't have a single ally there.

At first it didn't bother him that much; he had his own hotel room and the strong schedule didn't let him fall into the deep, dark hole of depression, since he barely had time to even breathe - he couldn't wonder how long he was going to hold on all alone, when his days were all about training, eating healthy meals and sleeping.

However, somehow today was different. Maybe it was about being mentally exhausted, maybe it was about falling over and landing on his already aching shoulder... he didn't know what it was, but something broke his mask.

"What is this messed up obsession with me, huh?" he raised both eyebrows. "You don't feel strong enough to make it to the final round, so you're trying to pick on the best?"

The other's laughter sounded cold. "It's more like the wild nature, fag. You're the ill, dying antelope, and we're the lions... destroying the annoying factor first to make this environment better."

"Thanks for this blatantly big bullshit you put together, next time I won't watch Discovery Chanel, I'll just come to you for similar stupid animal facts." Louis rolled his eyes, then turned back to pay attention to his left hand which had two bruised fingers. He tied them together with the sticky tape he kept in his locker for these situations, but his hands were slightly shaking.

"Be careful, Tomlinson. You might wanna watch your back."

Louis would of loved to say something cool to ridicule them, but his other half - the more dominant one - was just craving for some peace. He was too tired to be tough all the time; as time passed he became less and less motivated, caring less and less about what other people said to him.

There wasn't a Zayn to pick him up from the floor and there definitely wasn't a Harry to tell him it was going to be alright.

He put on his t-shirt and a gray hoodie, threw every dirty clothes in his bag, then headed out of the locker rooms. He shut out everyone who kept calling him names or anything else and made his way to the medical office. At least it was a saturday, which meant only one good thing: she was there.