Some Minor Rule Breaking

Following luncheon we promenaded along the enclosed first class deck, only returning to our cabins to change for dinner. A number of passengers had been brought over by tender from Cherbourg, all dressed for dinner. That night's dinner passed in a blur, and before I knew it I was allowing Marie to remove the pins from my hair and turn down my bed. I patiently worked a brush through my hair, reveling in the pins being gone. They allowed for some magnificent hairstyles but I found they pinched roughly as the day wore on.

The brush was taken from my hand, Mother's soft fingers holding the handle. "Thank you Marie, that will be all for tonight." In the mirror's reflection I could see Marie bob and leave. Only once the door shut again did Mother speak again. "What happened with Zachary?"

I looked up to her hazel eyes, the brush still moving softly through my hair. "He came up behind me while Mr. Murdoch was inviting us to lunch. Grabbed my shoulder and asked if we would be late due to the incident."

"Anything else?"

"He called me 'Stasia." I blinked away the memory, shaking my head slightly, "Fortunately Mr. Murdoch stepped forward and escorted me down to the restaurant."

The brush stilled, and she set it down on the vanity. "That childish nickname. You would think the boy would grow up. Your grandmother would have died of shame to hear her name abused in such a way." Her hands settled on my shoulders, fingers brushing against the fabric of my nightgown. "Your father spoke to a steward, he said that your Mr. Murdoch stands watches from ten to two, morning and night. During those times I want you with me or in the ladies areas. The night should prove no problem."

"Oh Mother, don't you remember how I enjoy sneaking out of bed at all hours?" I smiled up at her in the mirror.

She chuckled, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "Good night, Anastasia. We're having breakfast delivered tomorrow morning. Oh and your Father ran into the Hockley heir in the smoking room. We're invited to dine with their party tomorrow night."

"We've floated enough of his steel to deserve a meal." I smiled at her as she moved back to her cabin, the door sliding smoothly shut behind her. From there all that was left was to go to bed, the sheets silky smooth under my hands. Titanic was a marvel, I could barely feel the rocking of the waves. Only the slight vibration of the ship's engines and the strange feeling of moving forward while laying down. I was thaknful for the smooth sailing, Father had insisted on me accompanying him on short trips when I was younger, and I was seasick the whole trip the first time from the rough seas. It was only on the return trip that I found my 'sea legs' as he put it. Soon every time a ship came in I was down at the docks with him, running around like a hellion with the sailor's children. One time a boy had convinced us to steal a rowboat and row out to meet the ship before she docked.

Father had thought it a lark to see me sitting on the captain's shoulders as the ship was tied up. I held that day in my mind as I laid down to sleep, ignoring how he probably had forgotten all about that day. But I remembered, I remembered the yellow ribbon in my hair, I remembered how he had tossed me up into the air, calling me his little sailor.

Holding that memory tight I fell soundly asleep.

Morning dawned bright, even through the drawn shades. By the time Marie had appeared I had already used the sink to wash and donned what I could of my undergarments. All that was left was for my corset to be tightened and petticoats and skirts fastened. I buttoned a shirtwaist up, pulling on a green jacket with a braided trim over it that matched the skirt. Marie twisted my hair into a bun, fortunately a style that did not involve an inordinate number of pins.

When I stepped though to the other cabin Mother was wrapped in a dressing gown, enjoying a silver dish of scrambled eggs while Father snored in bed. A small plate of fruit had been brought with it, I swiped an apple off of it and swiftly disposed of it. Placing the core down I turned to Mother. "I am going up. We should be arriving in Ireland soon, I want to watch."