Drowning in Despair

Ruth lounged happily in her parlor, a tea service set out and the room ready for guests, curtains drawn back and fresh flowers on display. She liked having guests come in and sit, the little bits of gossip they would pass on and she would whisper to them in return. It served as a good distraction from her worries. After the first day with no word from Anastasia, she had marched down to the Cunard offices and demanded they get her in contact with her daughter.

The clerk working the desk had been apologetic, but Cunard was not sending out messages from the Lusitania in order to obscure her position from German cruisers and, unfortunately, she was out of range of their wireless now. Perhaps Ruth could send through an American service and have a message waiting in Britain once the Lusitania docked?

She had almost beat the man with her parasol, but had held herself in check.

It at least gave her something to think over while she waited for any visitors. The coming summer weather seemed to had driven everyone up to Newport early though, and Ruth was wearily sighing over a cup of tea when Mr. Rigby entered, bowing. "Mrs. Dalian, Mr. Keller is here to see you."

"Of course, please show him in." Ruth smiled, reaching for a tea sandwich to nibble on. It wasn't unusual for Adam to come during her visiting hours, especially when Anastasia wasn't around to handle the business. She rose to greet him, gesturing to the other chair. "Adam, please, sit."

He did, but appeared anxious as he refused a cup of tea or any sweets. His feet danced, and he chewed his lip. "Mrs. Dalian, we've had some chatter over the wireless. I don't know exactly what's happened, but it sounds as if," Mr. Keller hesitated, closing his eyes. "It sounds as if the Lusitania was sunk off Ireland."

Ruth knew how she was supposed to react. She should have dropped her saucer, letting the delicate china shatter on the wood while she threw her hands up in the air and screamed. She should have begun to frantically ask after her daughter, if she was alive, if she was dead, begging God for the former. She should have fallen to her knees, weeping and taken to her bed after.

She did none of these.

She calmly set her tea down, folded her hands in her lap, and looked to Adam. "Are you sure about this?"

"Yes."

"Has anyone else learned of it?"

"I have no doubt it will make its way to the papers soon."

Ruth sighed, "I want any word about the ship sent to me immediately." She closed her eyes briefly, "And any mention of Anastasia."

"Of course, Mrs. Dalian."

"I need to make a call, and then I'll be down to the offices. She'll send word either here or there, but at least there I can get any news from our men as soon as it comes in." She stood, gesturing for her maid to follow. "I'm going to change, please send some men to loiter outside the newspaper offices and work our contacts to learn anything they can."

"I will." Adam paused, then reached out and laid a gentle hand on her shoulder. "I'm sure Anastasia is fine."

Ruth's lips pressed together, holding back a sob that she fought down. "She has to be, but we must prepare for any outcome."

Adam squeezed her shoulder, "I will stop off and light a candle for her, and all those with her. A prayer wouldn't hurt in this situation."

"No," Ruth nodded, "It would not. I will see you at the offices, I need to stop off and make a call."

"The Fields?"

"Make that two calls."

Ruth was fidgeting as she sat in the parlor, and Oscar watched as his mother reached over to take her hand. That seemed to calm her somewhat, but her eyes were still far too serious. Ruth glanced to Moira, "I don't mean to cause a fuss, but the offices have heard something over the wireless and it affects your family as well."