An Attack of Memory

I could feel the blood rush from my face at Roger's words, although Will reacted immediately. The parcel of presents was thrust into my hands as he charged past the boy, calling out for Sylvie. I looked down to the boy, trying to smile. "I'm sure everything will be fine, where is your mother?"

"She was in the parlor, but I think she may be in the kitchen." Roger stepped forward, grabbing my skirt. "Can you go with me?"

"Of course." I extended a hand, taking his tiny fingers in mine as we stepped inside. I could still hear Will, his voice rather panicked, but when we came around the corner to find the parlor he looked a bit calmer than he had at the door. Sylvie, bent over a cane as she tapped her way around the room, glanced over at me. I kept my smile in place. "Sylvie, are you alright?"

"I'll be better once you get your nursemaid away from me." She grumbled, still walking around. "It isn't nothing that I haven't dealt with before, but you'd think I was a bloody mess at the bottom of the stairs the way he was carrying on."

Will stepped up to offer his arm to her as she kept walking. "You really should be resting if you aren't feeling well."

"It's the baby that isn't feeling well." Sylvie snapped, although I could see her rein herself back in. "Really Will, they won't let me lay down. All they want is for me to walk, it's fine, really."

"But the cane," I muttered, looking at the item in her hands.

She lifted it, showing the fine wood and silver tip. "My foot isn't happy, had a storm blow through and set it to hurting, and with the walking, well, it's not helping much either." She shook Will off her arm, continuing around the room. Roger, still clutching my hand, watched her warily.

Will came to my side, his voice quiet. "She has a clubfoot, but usually she manages just fine. I've only seen her like this a couple of times." He glanced down to Roger. "Your mother is going to be just fine, she's just not comfortable."

"But the baby," Roger turned to Will, slipping around so that he could hold my hand while hiding behind Will's legs. "What wrong with the baby?"

"They're fine!" Sylvie's voice was harsh, and Roger cringed away. She sighed, leaning heavier on her cane. "Really Roger, I'm fine, the baby's fine, we're just not having a good day."

"Perhaps it would be best if I took the boys out." Will said, seeing how Sylvie was pressing her fingers to the bridge of her nose. "We could go to the pantomime and let you have a little peace."

I looked to Will, "Oh, that sounds like a wonderful idea." I turned to Roger, still hiding behind Will's trousers. "Would you like to spend the day with Uncle Will and then when you come back we can give you your presents?"

"Go get Trevor." Sylvie spoke up, her hand over her belly as she settled into a chair. "I'm sure everything will be fine when you come back, you boys deserve to go have some fun."

"But Mother-"

"I said go get your brother, Frederic Roger Lightoller, and do not make me say it again." The firmness in Sylvie's voice would have done a general proud and Roger quickly scampered of to do her bidding. She let her head rest against the back of the chair, a small smile on her face. "You'll learn to get your own to hop to quick enough, Anastasia."

"Ana," Will turned to me, his voice low. "Stay with her for me, will you? I don't want her to be alone."

I nodded, kissing his cheek. "Go have fun with them, make sure they get tired." He nodded, and he quickly turned to the boys who had quietly reappeared behind him. I nodded to them, "You behave for him boys, or no presents when you get back."