Papa

When the Mary Ellen Carter tied up at the docks, no worse for wear aside from some scratched paint, I almost sobbed with relief. I'd hardly left Will's side for the remainder of the voyage after the storm, and Rigel had been constantly by my side. Between the two of them it was hard to remember the water crashing over me just as I grabbed the doorknob on the door to the bridge. I didn't think about the freezing wave that had slammed into me, foam swirling about head and the harsh taste of saltwater flooding my mouth when I had tried to scream.

And then it had pulled at me.

The force of the wave receding had pulled my hair from its pins, sending it swirling around my head and tangling itself into knots. My feet had scrambled at the decking, my hand a claw around the doorknob as I tried to find somewhere, anywhere, away from the water. And then it was gone, and the wind was biting through my clothes and I was so cold, I had barely been aware of what I had been doing until Samuel had pulled me into the chartroom.

He'd been talking, constantly, using his handkerchief to try and dry my face as much as he could, but I couldn't help the tears. I wanted Will, I wanted my husband, and he wasn't there. He was supposed to have been there, I had wanted him to let me stay on the bridge where I could at least see the waves coming at us. Samuel had been muttering in Gaelic, although he had stopped once Will had arrived.

I bit my lip, remembering the fear that had raced through me when Will had said he had been in the engine room. All I could see was Father trapped belowdecks as the Titanic sank, and Will suffering the same fate. Will had been good about holding me close that night, although I had woken up at least twice that night with a cry in my throat for Will to run. I shook my head, earning myself a look from him as we stood by the railing. He covered my hand with his, "Everything alright?"

"Yes," I smiled, "I would just like to get home and sleep in our bed."

"You're not the only one." He muttered, looking out at the dock as we were swiftly tied up. "Look, your mother is right there." I couldn't help but smile at the sight of Mother, her car blocking a number of trucks as she stood on the running board and examined the decks. She waved when she saw us, I lifted a hand in acknowledgment.

Mother enveloped me in a hug as soon as my foot hit the dock, "Oh Anastasia, it's so good to have you back." She turned to Samuel in a whirl of wool, "And Samuel, I was so sorry to hear about Ruth, but I am glad that you're visiting us."

Samuel nodded, "Thank ye, Mrs. Dalian."

"Oh hush with that," Mother tapped his arm, leading us all to the car. "I insist on you calling me Ruth." Her driver, after waiting for a moment for our trunks to be brought to one of the trucks, started us chugging towards the dock house. Rigel thumped his tail against the floor, looking at all of us with a lolling tongue. Mother had a small smile on her face as she looked to Samuel, "In fact, I'm desperately glad that you're visiting us because I am in need of help."

"With what?" Samuel was looking out the window, but looked to Mother as she spoke.

The look Mother cast at Will was nothing short of triumphant. "Why, William's birthday of course." Will flushed at that, but he quickly paled as she went on. "I know we had a small celebration last year, but he's truly a member of our set now and I am in the mood to throw an absolutely absurd party."

"Mrs. Dalian," Will started, although he quickly backpedaled at Mother's glare. "Ruth, that's really not necessary."

I smirked, "Oh it absolutely is Will! Mother, do you remember my seventeenth birthday party? Perhaps we could do something similar to the party gifts we did then?"

"The topaz bracelets and cufflinks?" Mother rocked her head from side to side, considering. "Perhaps rubies would be more appropriate for William."

"Christ above." Will cursed under his breath, although he glanced away when Samuel looked to him. "Ruth, really, I'll be quite content with something small."