A Moonlight Swim

Surprisingly, spending some time in Newport with just Mother was actually restful. Rigel adored the cottage, although I found myself having to brush sand out of his coat at least twice a day. But what he loved more was the ocean, I had been nervous when he had romped into the surf and gone past the breakers. Charles had said that his breed was known for being good swimmers, but it might not apply to him.

I shouldn't have worried, for it soon became impossible for him to stay out of the sea. When I took a book down to the rocks, a wide brimmed hat shielding my face, he was there and seemed fascinated with bringing me pieces of driftwood to throw out for him. At least it exhausted him, for he hardly stirred at night after his meal in the kitchens. I think Mother enjoyed him too, for more than once she joined me down at the shore to play with him.

She even threw a stick for him, watching as he bounded into the surf. "My word, does he ever tire?"

"Sometimes I don't think so." I chuckled, watching as Rigel quickly swam to the stock. "I'm not sure he's been completely dry since we got here."

Mother laughed, her dress fluttering around her ankles. "And you've been well, with William being gone?"

"As well as I can be," I shrugged, "I miss him, but he'll be up here soon enough." Rigel, seawater shedding off him in a veritable deluge, brushed into me and dropped the stick at my feet. "Besides, I have this one to distract me."

"He is a handful." Mother reached down and ruffled his ears. She looked up, "I am glad to see you happy, Anastasia. Sometimes I worried that I would lose you." I was blinking away a sudden rush of tears when she took my hands. "But now, you seem so much better. William is devoted to you, and Mr. Keller says that you've been everything the company has needed. You're everything I could want in a daughter."

I squeezed her hands, "And I'm glad that you're doing better, Mother." Finally out of mourning and beginning to receive her friends again had improved Mother in any number of ways. Now when she saw a picture of Father she didn't tear up and excuse herself or turn the picture around, she might get a little choked up but she generally kept herself in check. I turned to Rigel, coming up with his stick again. "Perhaps you should get a dog though, Rigel is wonderful company."

That sent her into gales of laughter, "And have hair all over my clothes? I think I shall manage just fine without one, now, you left word for William to come and join us, correct?"

"I told him before he left, and the rail car is waiting for him in New York." I looked out over the ocean, the sun gilding the tops of the swells. "He should be here fairly soon after he arrives."

"And then he'll fall right asleep." Mother chuckled. "Poor man, all that travel must wear him out." I laughed with her, although for a different reason. More than likely Will would be the exact opposite of worn out, he'd be trying to haul me off the moment he got here. He'd insisted on multiple rounds the night before he had left, and I had hardly stirred in the morning when he had left. I couldn't imagine what two weeks would do to him, let alone the trip up here.

The Newport season was much calmer this year, I'd only attended two parties since I had come up and both of those had been little more than playfully batting tennis balls around while the younger girls flirted. Oscar had been my partner, not just in tennis but in keeping me company. Between him and Liz, I found myself being able to deal with Will's absence better than I had before.

My heart was still racing when I saw the telegram slip on the mail tray one afternoon.

Mother, a knowing smile on her face, raised an eyebrow as she sipper her tea. "Good news?"

"Will caught the morning train, he'll be here this afternoon." I folded it up and placed it on the tray. "With James, what do you think, should I call Liz?"