A Letter

Heiress Recounts Sinking

Anastasia Dalian has finally consented to share her trials during the recent tragedy. Your humble reporter was received in their fashionable town house and was graciously granted an interview with the heiress, although we can call her heiress no longer. She now stands at the head of her late father's company, complete with her inheritance. I was struck by the strain that I could see upon her as we spoke, the mourning that she wears for her father, but she patiently answered every question I had.

During the night of the sinking, Miss Dalian worked valiantly to assist as many women and children into the lifeboats as she could. Several crew that survived have attested to seeing her place them into boats before going to bring more forward, refusing a place until the very end. It is at the very end that she very nearly lost her chance to survive. First Officer Murdoch was in the midst of having crew get a lifeboat readied while he held off a large group of men with a revolver. Miss Dalian was the saving grace that prevented any violence from occurring, coming forward with a group of women and children. After they were loaded she was preparing to board herself when the crowd of men rushed forward, Mr. Murdoch's gun going off above them all as he tried to maintain order and have the boat safely lowered. As it was, the weight of the men sent the boat hurtling away from the ship.

Left on board the sinking liner with Mr. Murdoch by her side, your humble reporter must provide some information about the two that were watching the lifeboat slip away before continuing this narrative. Miss Dalian revealed to me that she had taken a fancy to Mr. Murdoch during the voyage, and he to her. Is it any wonder then, after he had received permission to court her after the voyage from her father, that Mr. Murdoch did what he did next? According to Miss Dalian during our interview, as well as the affidavit she filed with the inquiry and other eyewitness accounts, he pulled her through to the other side and physically lifted her into a boat to ensure her survival. It was in this boat that she took up an oar, rowing with a steadfastness that later gave heart to the sailors who had volunteered to go back and search for survivors. She remained in the boat with them, and they viewed her as if some heroine sent down to keep them on their task.

Miss Dalian was unwilling to account the horrors that she witnessed in the field of wreckage, saying only that she saw many bodies and one survivor died in their boat. From other sources, I had determined that she was the one to hear the cries from the overturned lifeboats that were found. Miss Dalian was surprised to hear that I knew, but she confirmed it. The knowledge that her suitor was onboard one of those boats was unknown to her at the time, and a sailor I spoke to said she pulled as hard as any man at the oars, even when they were soaked by a wave of freezing water. It was only when they had returned to the main group with the survivors from the overturned boats that she was reunited with Mr. Murdoch, waiting with him in the cold until their rescue.

This reporter has read many tales of heroism and cowardice that occurred during the sinking, but if I had to choose one to preserve it would be this. Miss Dalian was no coward, unlike another family onboard that has made much of themselves in the aftermath of the sinking according to her. I am only repeating her own words here, but Miss Dalian alleges that the Reichster family was lowered down upon the millionaire's boat. While it is unknown if they offered a bribe to the sailors onboard as the Duff Gordons did, she says that she clearly saw them lowered, among the first to leave and in a boat that could have held forty, but only had twelve. If so, then the way they have attempted to cover themselves in glory afterward rings hollow. I am no society reporter, my dear readers, but those of you who desire to see Miss Dalian, and no doubt the Reichsters, should turn your eyes to Mrs. Margaret Brown's charity ball tonight. It remains to be seen if the patriarch of the Reichster clan will be in attendance, a report was received from the New York Police Department yesterday that Henry Reichster was arrested for trespassing, and while he has been released on his own recognizance, perhaps this event may be too soon for him to face the sterner members of society. Miss Dalian will be in attendance, in mourning, as she assists that indomitable woman in raising money for those who lost all in the tragedy.