Another Trick

Driving was complicated to say the least. I watched as Will showed me the different pedals and the gear shift, how they worked together, and the best way to use them. I spent more time watching how Will drove when we took the car out to the country for a day rather than looking at the scenery. Although it was very pretty where Will had driven us, a small town called Woodington.

The Rolls-Royce was rather out of place, but Will passed over a few notes to a farmer and we were given permission to use his hay field so I could practice driving. He didn't mind, the hay was all cut and stacked, and he chuckled as he walked off counting his cash. I patiently listed as Will went though everything to do, how to get the car out of park, how to turn the wheel just so, how to shift gears.

I managed two turns around the field before I forgot to hit the brakes and the car wound up in a hay stack.

Fortunately, nothing was hurt but my pride, although we did have to push the car back out of the stack and pick up whatever hay had gotten dislodged. I had tried to demur driving again, it was rather embarrassing to have put the car into the hay stack, but Will refused. I kept at it, and by the end of the day I could at least manage to drive the car, park it and start the engine.

Will was kind enough to not comment on the grinding noise the gears made when I drove and tried to go faster.

Back in Southampton, we were glad to have a few more days before we left. Enough for us to head down to the docks and have a walkthrough of the Anastasia while she was being loaded. Captain Fraser was there to greet us as soon as we boarded, "Mrs. Murdoch, it's wonderful to have you joining us. Although you could have made the crossing with us, we wouldn't have minded."

I smiled and waved my hand, "Ah, I wanted it to be a surprise for Will to find me here. The ship I took was far more comfortable than hiding myself in a crate."

He laughed at that, "Is there anything in particular you wanted to see?"

"The loading, if you don't mind." I took Will's arm as Fraser led us to the bridge, looking out over the fos'cle. Men were scurrying everywhere, the ship's cranes kept moving in a never ending dance and I could see Will's fellow officers directing the porters as crates were lowered down and stowed.

Captain Fraser shifted, "As you can see, everything is proceeding right on time. We'll be ready to depart in two days."

"Wonderful." I glanced to Will, "It will be enjoyable to see William in his element." I could see Will flush at my compliment, and I gave his arm a squeeze.

Fraser chuckled, "I'll expect you on your best behavior, Mr. Murdoch. Wouldn't want to disappoint our company owner."

"Of course, sir." Will nodded.

"And I may have to extend your watches. Just so she is aware of what an asset you are to us." Fraser's eyes were bright, a smirk on his lips.

Will sighed, "Sir, please." I laughed at that, and I could see Will relax a bit.

"And you'll need to stay in your usual cabin, even though she's in the passenger quarters. Wouldn't want any of our other guests to think you're engaging in improper behavior with a passenger." Fraser looked over to me, "If that's alright with you, ma'am."

Will butted in before I could speak. "Sir, I'm sure they'll know who she is."

"Will, it's alright." I raised an eyebrow at him. "I know you have a lot of things to attend to onboard." I patted his shoulder, "In fact, why don't you settle things here with Captain Fraser while I go take a look at my cabin? If it's large enough, I'll bring Rigel next time."

Will waited until Ana had left the bridge before turning to the Captain, "Sir, I would never disregard my duties."

"And what if your wife ordered you to?" Fraser snorted, "I know you're a good man, very responsible, but you're in an extremely unique situation when compared to the other officers here." The captain sighed, looking out of the bridge windows. "I can't have you rushing off to pick up a dropped teacup, even if she asks you to."