Stealing Up to Newport

AN: I generally try to avoid internet drama, but was unfortunately dragged into some this week. I was informed by a message from a fellow fic writer that this story had been stolen and was being sold for profit on an Amazon service called Kindle Vella that monetizes original serialized stories by authors using the service. The thief had stolen over a dozen stories and was profiting off of our work. The stories have been taken down off of Amazon and I am working with them to figure out what can be done to prevent theft like this in the future. Thank you to all of my reader who read here, I hope you've enjoyed everything so far and will enjoy what's to come!

Will stood awkwardly with me in Zachary's parlor, Rigel's leash in his hand. He had insisted that he accompany me on my visit to Sophie, and had even made the Reichster's butler let Reggie and Lewis in with us. The two of them were currently standing awkwardly in the door, doing their best to try and fade into the woodwork. Meanwhile I was dressed in a fashionable Paris gown, a powder blue silk, one of the new styles ones with the pannier styled skirts the bunched up around my hips, and nibbling on a cookie while I waited for the new mother to make her appearance.

The beaming father was already sat across from us, smoking a cigar and deliberately waving the smoke towards me. Zachary sneered when I delicately coughed, "I'm surprised you're even here."

"I'm here for you wife." I snapped back, "I don't give a damn about you."

"I can see your husband has improved your vocabulary." He rolled his eyes, "And what did you bring us? A scrap of fabric, you know the Astors sent a crib made by a master craftsman from France."

"If you're not happy with the silver rattle we also brought, by all means, we'll take them both back." Will stepped forward, keeping a right hand on Rigel's leash as he sat.

"Well that would be pointless, it's not like you'll ever have an occasion for your own child to have one." He drew back a little as Rigel growled, all the hair on his head standing on end to make him look very much like a bear.

I snorted, "You know, you used to at least pretend at cordiality."

"And you used to not be a whore." He shot right back, only drawing short when Will let Rigel's leash slip a bit and Rigel took a few threatening steps forward. "Restrain that thing before I have it shot."

"Zaza," Sophie's voice was weak, and her steps were hesitant as she came in. A bundle of blankets, Adam I assumed, was in her arms. "Stop baiting our guests, they simply came to congratulate us."

He didn't even get up to offer her an arm, I took the leash from Will and he helped Sophie into a chair. A nurse trailed in her steps, and what looked to be a walking mop followed her. It gave a loud bark and romped into the room, its hair like hundreds of little ropes that swung around as it came towards me. I smiled, "This can't be Little Freddy, could it?"

"It's a damn nuisance." Zachary groused, standing and moving away. "Hair everywhere, growls at me all the time."

I gave Little Freddy a healthy scratching, whispering to him. "Good boy."

Zachary was moving for the door when Sophie spoke up. "Aren't you going to stay and visit?"

"Not since they turned our parlor into a zoo," He shot a glare at Lewis and Reggie in the other door. "And a dockside tavern. I'm headed out and won't be back until late, don't wait up for me."

Sophie sighed as the door slammed shut. "Perhaps that's for the best."

"Oh, it undoubtedly is." Will let Rigel's leash go, and the two dogs gave each other a good sniff before beginning a romp around the room. "How are you, Sophie?"