Nis

"Oh, this is truly something." I crowed, holding up the frock coat and looking closely at the stitches. They were so fine I could barely see them against the dark navy of the fine wool, smooth beneath my hands as opposed to the slightly itchy fabric of Will's current coat. The golden chain on the cuffs gleamed brightly, matching the gold bullion of the epaulettes sewn to the shoulders. The most wonderful part though was on the inside, hidden from everyone but something that would mean the world to Will. The bright red and greens of the Murdoch tartan in a light wool ran in smooth lines up and down the coat lining. I traced my fingers over it, "Mr. Cooper, you even matched the patterns!"

"Well, it is for a wedding, your wedding." The fine boned tailor who'd taken care of Dalian uniforms since I had been born, shrugged. "I figured I should at least put some effort into it."

"But the time it takes to match everything, you must have been exhausted after!" I folded the coat back into its box, looking out over the rest of the counter. He hadn't just made the coat, he'd made Will an entire Reserves uniform. Trousers, waistcoat, shirt, tie, and he'd even ordered a new belt and hat from England. The most outrageous piece though as the new sword, shining in its leather and brass scabbard. "And these other pieces, you really didn't need to."

"Your family's been good to me." Mr. Cooper began to fold up the other items, placing them in the long flat box. "And it isn't as if you won't be paying me for it."

"Oh yes, I've got my purse with me." I fumbled for it, trying not to drop Rigel's leash. He found the display of new boots incredibly interesting, and I'd already apologized to Mr. Cooper once when he'd knocked over several pairs. "Just tell me how much." The price he named was high, but something I'd expected. I was still counting out bills when I had a thought. "Could you throw in a new pair of those Oxfords and a new pair of socks? I may as well have everything new for him."

"Of course, Miss." He made his way over to the boxes of shoes stacked up behind the counter, settling them and a pair of socks in the box. Thee tissue paper covering the clothes crinkled slightly as he did. "If you're getting everything new though, should I include a new tie pin? I happen to have a lovely gold one, with a sapphire on it."

"Why not?" I muttered, slipping a few more bills onto the pile. "Thank you again for everything, Mr. Cooper." He nodded to me as he pulled packing string out and proceeded to wrap the box up. It was rather awkward to take it in my arms and manage Rigel at the same time, but eventually I made it to the door and managed to slip outside. The city was still rather cold, and I was thankful for my coat as the breeze quickly brushed aside the warmth of the tailor's shop. My hat was also proving rather warming, a nice beaver felt with bobbing feathers. My carriage was close, just a short ways down from the door, and I had already reached for the door of it when I paused.

"You're not Lewis." I muttered, looking up at the strange man in the shabby top hat in the driver's seat. "Where's my coachman?" I glanced around, thinking maybe Lewis had just asked a cabbie to hold the horses while he relieved himself. But there wasn't a cab around, only a pair of men that had been talking to each other.

"Oh, he's just taking a nap Miss." One of the men that had been leaning up against the building shoved himself upright. His fellow followed him, but clearly the first one was the talker. "Now, just get in the coach and he'll be fine."

Rigel was already growling, and I clutched at the box as I stumbled back. "Get away from me."

"Now now, Miss." The man grinned at me as he spoke, "Don't be like this now. I don't want to let Freddie here loose, he's got an awful temper." The man beside him quickly dipped his hand into his pocket, pulling out a knife.

My heart was in my throat, and I let go of Rigel's leash. "Nis." With hardly a growl Rigel launched himself at the man with the knife. Ezekiel had trained Rigel with that word from when he was a puppy to attack. Will had suggested it, saying it was unlikely I'd accidentally say something in Gaelic. It had been fun when he was a puppy and he would worry at Ezekiel's arm, but Rigel was a massive dog now. The man fell under almost two hundred pounds of fierce muscle, hair and bone. I could hear him scream as Rigel sank his teeth into his arm, shaking his head back and forth and tearing at him. There was a clatter as the knife was dropped, the man's writhing sending it underneath the horses. I could see the man beating at Rigel with his other hand, and I half started forward to try and protect him when I noticed the other man curse and leave his fellow.