The Afternoon Session

The afternoon session began with Mr. Marconi himself taking the stand. Smith was relentless in his search for minor details, asking about the exact equipment that was supplied and how it was used. Marconi was patient though, probably from having to explain the workings of his machine many times, and kept calm throughout. I will admit that I did not know the exact technical aspects of the apparatus and it was almost as if I was attending a lecture on wireless machinery and its use. It took time though, and most of the audience was shifting in their seats when he was dismissed.

"We now call William Murdoch, First Officer of the Titanic, to the stand." Senator Smith said, dismissing Mr. Marconi with a nod. I anxiously watched as Will stood, adjusting his suit jacket as he moved forward and sat in the chair before the Senator and his aides. All I could see of him was his back, but his posture seemed strong as he waited. Senator Smith began with the usual questions; what his full name was, where he lived, how old he was and what his business was and how long he had been in that business. I stayed quiet, listening to Will's answers; William McMaster Murdoch, currently living in Portswood Southampton, thirty nine years old and he had been a seaman for twenty-two years. Twelve of those had been spent as an officer on White Star ships, rising from third officer to first.

The next round of questions focused on the trials Titanic had undergone in Belfast. It was rather boring to hear Smith constantly ask for the smallest detail, which Will tried to recall but some escaped him. I could not blame him for not remembering them, so much had happened since then. Smith looked up from his papers, "You were first officer during these tests, correct?"

"Actually, I was chief officer during the tests." Will sounded tired, and I looked to the clock on the wall. It was growing late, we'd been here for so long that my legs were falling asleep. I shifted in my chair, feeling the tingling of them coming back to life.

"I thought you were the first officer." Smith was still scratching away at his papers.

"I was to be chief during the voyage, but Captain Smith thought to bring over Henry Wilde from the Olympic to help on our trip while the Olympic was laid up in repairs. That bumped me down to first, Mr. Lightoller to second, and Mr. Blair, our original second, off all together." That seemed to send a bit of a stir through the others taking notes at the table, but Senator Smith quickly got back to his minutia. Will did his best, informing him that the life saving equipment was complete when the tests were done and the ship set out for Southampton.

In Southampton an officer of the British Board of Trade had come aboard to carry out tests. Will wearily explained everything that was done, having to stop and define several terms. It was fairly obvious Senator Smith had very little knowledge of maritime matters and terms. He even had to be told that once tied on a life belt would not float away from the person wearing it. Smith looked closely at a drawing of a life belt that had been provided, "Have you ever worn one of these in the water?"

"Yes." Will's answers had gotten shorter as the questioning went on, his voice still firm though.

"When?"

"During the sinking."

"You left the ship with a life belt on?"

"I did not leave the ship, it fell out from under me."

I could see Smith wince, "How long were you in the water with this on?"

"I cannot say for certain, perhaps an hour, maybe less." I felt a shiver run through me, thinking of the way the cold water had chilled me just from a small wave. No wonder Will had looked practically dead when we had picked him up. An hour in that water, it was a miracle he made it.