A Private Rail Car

I wish I could say that the trip to Washington proved to be some great relief, that away from the city Will and I were able to find a moment of peace. But it was not to be. The inquiry continued on, the officers and sailors called back up again and again to answer any number of inane questions. Will had the worst of it, as I expected. It seemed Senator Smith had an endless list of questions that exposed how he was planning on continuing.

"Was there ever an order to increase speed beyond the normal speed that you have stated?" Smith asked during one session, after pressing Will for details regarding the speed at the time of the collision.

"No sir, not to my knowledge."

"I will be frank Mr. Murdoch, there has been discussion that Mr. Ismay was heard ordering Captain Smith to increase speed with the hopes of securing some accolade. Do you know of that?"

"The accolade, sir? The Blue Riband, awarded for the fastest transatlantic crossing."

"I meant the discussion."

"Sorry, but I do not. In fact I could not think of any reason why Mr. Ismay would push for more speed." Will almost chuckled as he spoke.

"Why is that?"

"The Cunard liners can do approximately 24 knots as their top speed, according to them. Titanic was rated for 22 1/2 to 23 knots to my best guess. We knew we couldn't catch them for speed."

"Surely two knots is not so great a trial to overcome?" Smith thought he was clever, but he had obviously never had to deal with getting a replacement boiler fitted after a captain had decided to press his engines. That had happened to one of our ships a few years back, Father had almost torn out his hair dealing with the expense and the lost contracts while the ship was laid up.

"We did not try it sir, our only wish was for this voyage to go smoothly and it has been said when the Cunard liners run their top speed they shake something horrible. This was a maiden voyage, we were running the ship with every eye towards a safe crossing, not quick."

"Did the officers discuss the top speed at all?"

"Only in the way one is curious about such matters. Nothing about attempting it on this trip."

"So, in your expertise, the discussion that has been brought to our attention is inaccurate?"

"Yes." Will spoke firmly, and he was dismissed after that. We did our best to stay for the others officers, who were questioned about the speed of the ship in the same manner. I took Will's hand, trying to remember the feel of it. Washington had brought another hardship, Will was unable to come to my room without being noticed. We were all housed on the same floor of the hotel I had found, but the hotel staff was so studious in their rounds that there was never a time where the hallway was deserted enough. The first night had been the worst, and a maid had actually come running with the manager, convinced I was being murdered.

The manger had stayed back from the bed, where I was twisted in the sheets. He was breathing heavily, "My apologies Miss Dalian, the maid was just so concerned and I was the only one with the key."

"It's alright, just a nightmare." I muttered as I tried to set myself to rights while keeping the blanket pulled up to my chin. "I've had them for awhile"

"I can arrange for something to be brought to calm your nerves, if you would like." He looked down studiously at his shoes.

"No, I will be fine, but please tell the maids not to worry." I nodded to him, "Please, I will be back asleep in a moment." He had left, and I had tried to steady myself. The nightmares were different, now that I had heard about Will's trials during the sinking. That night I had seen him sucked down with the ship, his coat flaring about his legs as he flailed for the surface. Father had been sitting in a deck chair as they descended, offering Will a brandy and a cigar. What little sleep I had gotten that night proved little relief, and I had actually nodded off during the inquiry the next day. Fortunately I did not miss much, Smith still focused on the tiniest of details, especially the speed of the ship.