Spywork

I was far too happy to dress in a warm wool dress and petticoat, pulling on a fox fur coat and muff before stepping outside. In the middle of January, New York was freezing cold and I was grateful that the car was heated. Rigel, with his thick coat, hardly cared about the snow and in fact wanted to play until I shoved him into the car.

Lewis was bundled up as tightly as I was, and I was glad that he could enjoy the heat of the cab as well. I saw plenty of other fine cars out that day, their drivers so covered that I couldn't even see their eyes. But Lewis was nice and warm as he took us to the edge of the city and onto the East River Bridge. Rigel seemed a bit bothered by the way the sound of the tires changed, while I leaned over to the window to marvel at the massive bridge supports.

I hadn't had much reason to venture to Brooklyn over the years, but I had been there more than I had been over to New Jersey. I had once mentioned that to Mother and she has been horrified that I would even consider visiting that state, Father had grimaced and said it was better to send agents over there. I seemed there was something I didn't understand, perhaps I could bother Oscar about it at some point.

Now, there was a man who had been thrilled by Sophie's infidelity. Once I had told him what I was planning he had sworn himself not only to secrecy but to the service of subverting Zachary's marriage. Over whiskey and wedding cake we had hashed out a plan to ensure Sophie and Morris could see each other at least once a month, perhaps more if things could be finessed.

But first, I would have to find Sophie's lover.

I was glad he worked at the Navy Yard, for I really did need to visit the place. With the outbreak of European hostilities, the speed with which American navy ships were ordered to come in for refitting had increased, which meant that our orders from the Yard had increased. Mother's investment in rail had been much needed, although plenty of our coastal ships had been shuttling gun barrels and engine parts to where they were needed. I was immensely interested in the conversion from coal to oil that was being implemented, and planned to pester Morris about it if I needed a cover to speak to him.

Lewis pulled into the Yard, parking by the offices. The car was already drawing quite a few looks from workers and officers, and those only increased when I stepped out. A few whistles were added then, although Lewis did his best to glare at the offenders. He kept pace with me as I headed for the door, "Ma'am, should I wait with the car?"

"Nonsense," I shook my head, noting how an officer stepped forward to open the door for the both of us. "It's far too cold, I insist that you stay inside where it's warm."

"And if you head out to the yard?"

"Admiral Usher will escort me; you need to stay in here and thaw." I turned a smile on one of the officers inside. "I believe Admiral Usher is expecting me, Anastasia Murdoch?"

He blushed a bit, "Yes, ma'am, he is."

"Could you tell him I'm here?" I batted my eyes a bit, sending him off running. It was only a moment before he returned, trailed by a rather squat man with a square shaped head and a bristling mustache. I extended a hand, "Admiral Usher, it's pleasure to finally meet you."

He gently squeezed my fingers, "Mrs. Murdoch, I was quite pleased to receive your request. You would be surprised how many of our suppliers haven't come down to see the yard."

"I'm only sorry it took me so long." I smiled, looking out the windows. Snow had settled over the cranes and gantries of the yard, what was on the ground was swiftly turning black and brown as men shuffled through it to the various warehouses and workshops of the yard. I raised a brow, "Although it appears it might be cold for a tour."

"I highly doubt you're intimidated by a bit of cold." Admiral Usher moved to the door, "Shall we?"

Rigel, at my feet, started up immediately. I glanced down to him, "It appears that my decision has been made for me."