An Afternoon Caller

AN: Well, this chapter will make this the longest work I have ever written. More than likely this will end up being over 100,000 words, which sounds daunting but also kind of exciting. This chapter I particularly enjoyed writing. I hope you all have a Happy New Year!

The weekend proved to be some slight relief from the constant pressure the inquiry had become. I was able to sleep half the day away before Peggy came in to hustle me out of bed. She still was unused to seeing Will there, but having won the battle over mourning clothes, she wasn't going to fight it any more. For now, at least. Will had slipped out after breakfast, his new clothes waiting across the hall. Apparently Charles had gone to the inquiry, while the other officers had decided to take some time and see the city. I had moved the breakfast dishes to her tray, but Peggy stayed in my rooms though. "Miss, are you sure about him?"

I shook my head, "Peggy, after what we've been through I would trust Mr. Murdoch with my life." I moved to my vanity, "I will need you to send word around to the rail yard, the inquiry is moving down to Washington and I'm going with them in our car, so I will need a trunk packed and all our luggage ready to go tomorrow morning."

"Leaving tomorrow, that's quite fast Miss." Peggy grumbled as she set out a fresh set of underthings. "Why can't they just keep it here?"

"I have no idea Peggy, but I'm not going to let them go there alone." She came over to the vanity, and I could see that she wanted to ask something. "What is it, Peggy?"

"Miss, forgive me for speaking out of turn, but why are you so concerned about them?" Her voice was quiet, and she twisted her hands around each other. "It's not that they're not wanted, or that I think they should be thrown out, but I just don't understand."

I sighed, "It's alright Peggy. I suppose it's rather odd looking when you weren't there." I gestured for her to sit, and she moved to the bed. "They helped save all of us, and I had gotten to know several of them on the voyage. I just couldn't live with myself if I didn't offer them our hospitality." I caught her eye, "And Mr. Murdoch received Father's permission to court me, before the sinking."

"If he's a suitor, then he really shouldn't be sleeping in your bed." Peggy shook her head, "Imagine if the thought entered his head to take advantage of you-"

"Peggy!" I cut her off, "He has been nothing but respectful and kind, you will not make that assumption again." I didn't like to raise my voice, or to see her cringe slightly. I had never been one to treat my staff harshly, but I had to be firm on that. I softened my tone as I continued, "When we were on the rescue ship, if I did not have him by me when I slept I would begin screaming from the nightmares I suffered. Please, I want you to understand that is the only reason he has been staying in my rooms."

"I'm sorry Miss," She spoke quickly, ducking her head. "It wasn't any of my business, I shouldn't have asked."

"It's alright Peggy, things aren't exactly settled at the moment." I moved to sit by her, "You are only concerned, that's nothing to be ashamed about." I saw her smile at that, but we both looked up when my sitting room door opened.

A maid entered, bearing a calling card on a silver tray. "Miss, the Reichsters have sent their card around." I walked to her, taking the card from the tray. I looked at it, the perfectly printed black lettering raised against the cream paper. It was a well made card, the edges gilded. I wished nothing more than to throw it into the fire and let the flames consume it. But, as much as I wanted to, I could not. It would cause talk to refuse to see them, so soon after a tragedy we had both been through. And I wanted nothing more than to avoid gossip at the moment.

I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed, "Thank you, please see them in and set the parlor for tea. Oh, and please let Mr. Murdoch know I will need him as an escort." The girl bobbed a curtsy and withdrew, and I moved to my dressing room. I pulled out a high necked black bombazine, something that I could don myself. The only ornament I took for it was a large jet brooch to fasten at its high collar. Peggy was quick about getting me laced in to my underthings, the dress I was able to handle on my own, and Peggy managed to get the brooch pinned without catching my skin. She sniffed as she brought a pair of jet earrings over, "Calling on a woman in mourning, absolutely unthinkable."