The Stag Night

Waiting for yet more ships to dock and disgorge his side of the wedding party was pure torture for Will, he'd have much rather been on a trip across and had them all here when he got back, but it wouldn't have been right to not greet them. Not when they came all the way across an ocean for him, well, him and Ana. She was the consummate hostess, taking not only Sylvie but his mother out shopping and refusing to even consider prices.

God, she'd been a vision when he'd seen her in that dress. He imagined that his own fitting was much less involved than her's, after all he had far less to wear. The other men had simply begun to hector him about Ana while he had begun to change. Well, Charles hectored, while Oscar began to wax rhapsodic about what Ana would look like when she arrived. Ezekiel kept up a running commentary as he did, constantly interrupting to the point of annoying Oscar. Will shook his head as he undressed, pulling on his new shirt which was starched just as he liked, Reggie had seen to it. In fact, Reggie was with him as he switched into his uniform trousers, helping pull the suspenders up over his shoulder.

Will had waved him away when he had pulled on his waistcoat. "I can handle it from here, Reggie."

The man had snorted. "I quite doubt that." He had turned to begin brushing Will's frock coat, for at least the third time since they had arrived.

"Leave off Will, he's just helping." Charles called over, holding a drink and grinning.

Ezekiel chuckled, "That's what you pay him for." Will had smiled at that, especially as his father stepped over to help knot his tie and pull the stiff collar into place.

Samuel eyed the coat draped over a chair, "What did yer girl do with the linin' of that?"

"She arranged for the tailor to use our tartan." He had grinned, "I hadn't offered to wear a kilt, but she wanted me to have somethin' of home." Will had found it rather confusing when his father, his eyes intent, undid a perfectly good knot once, then twice. He had the clever fingers of a sailor, but it was only on his third try, when Oscar and Ezekiel had left the room for a moment, that he finally let the knot be. "Da? What is it?"

Samuel reached out and gripped his son's shoulder, his fingers strong as he looked towards the door the pair had left through. "Ye're sure about that one?"

"Ezekiel?"

"The other one, the rich one."

"Oscar? Yes, he's quite alright."

"He seems to admire her, a lot."

Will had pursed his lips. Ah, it was this then. "He courted her, once. But he's been nothing but kind and helpful since I've met him." At first Will had been jealous of Oscar, for he had no doubt he had done all kinds of things with Ana, perhaps even have kissed her. But he had surrendered the field to Will, and instead of a rival, Will had found a friend. He sighed as his father growled.

"Open yer eyes, lad. He's a fool for that girl, your girl. And ye let him stay close."

"I'm not a fool, Da." Will lowered his voice. "Don't ye think he could have stolen her from me if he put his mind ta it? He's known her for years, he's well bred and set to inherit millions, but ye know what he did when he heard about us? He wished me well, he told me that as long as she was happy with me it was all he cared about. He hasn't made a move at her beyond being her friend."

Will drew in a breath, trying to not shout. "And look at me, a sailor with nothing to his name when she dragged me across her doorstep. Marrying her, having my own family with me for it. But I'm entering a different world Da, and I'd be a fool to spurn help when it's offered, or friendship. So yes, I know he feels fondly towards Ana, but I know he won't act on it." Will fixed Samuel with a glare. "Nor would Ana accept it if he did." His father had grumbled at that, but Ezekiel and Oscar had returned with a bottle of whiskey and Will had been on the outside looking in as they began to pour glasses for each other.