Rule Britannia

When I had modeled my costume for Mother, she had been rather pleased. I had stood stock still, as if I was part of some tableaux, while she circled me. "I much prefer this to what anyone else will be wearing."

I laughed, shifting the trident to my other hand. "You haven't seen any of the other costumes."

"Strangely, I feel as if I'll have seen them all before." Mother had chosen to eschew a costume for the night, although she had at least insisted on her dress being accented with red, white and blue ribbon. She had even offered to have a Union Jack brought for me to wear as a cape, but I declined.

It was already apparent who I was, that would have made me into a caricature.

I held the helmet in my lap during the ride to the Vanderbilts, the trident across my lap and the shield in the other seat beside Mother. I was trying not to mar the polished gilding on the helmet, but it was all I could do with my hands. Mother noticed, "You're worried." It took all I had not to snort, and she sighed. "Yes, yes. I know, you're always worried about William. But this isn't that, you're worried about the party."

I nodded, looking out at the electric lights of the city making their way by. "Oscar said that there would be some pro-German families present."

"Ah," Mother sniffed, "Well, we have the fortune to not have a large extended family in the city, so we do not have to bow to their wishes."

I shifted on the bench, "I know."

"And you know that if Oscar had his way, he wouldn't have them come." Mother reached over, taking the helmet from me. "But his family has many friends, and Richard and Moira have to keep up appearances, as do we." She smirked, "Now, that doesn't mean I'm going to ask you to play nice with them. I simply would prefer you to avoid them."

I lifted the trident, "I think they'll be the ones avoiding me."

It took a bit of impromptu dressing on the curb to have me fully arrayed in my regalia, and I found myself incredibly glad my shield was simply painted balsa wood with some leather handles on the back. It meant that at least one arm didn't tire very easily, although the one holding the trident would be aching by the end of the night. While it was painted wood as well, it was more solid and each point was gilded, ornamental carvings running up and down the handle.

Other guests were also arriving, straightening their costumes and finery so that they could proceed in without looking a mess. I was the only one armed though, everyone else having opted for more refined costumes. I did note several guests who had quite obviously gotten their costumes from the opera, more specifically an adaptation of Wagner that had run some years back. I deliberately turned my back on a Valkyrie on the arm of Loki when we entered the house, gripping my trident tighter. A friend called to Mother, and she left me with a brief admonishment to avoid that group for the night.

A warm voice spoke up from behind me, "I certainly hope you're not planning on spearing any of my guests with that."

I chuckled, turning to take in Oscar. He'd adapted a naval uniform for the occasion, one sleeve pinned up and an eyepatch across his forehead, although at the moment he had it flipped up. "Why, Admiral Nelson, I'm afraid you've caught me by surprise."

"I am but a humble servant of my patroness," He gave an elaborate bow. "May Britannia rule the waves, forever and ever."

I curtsied, as much as I could in my costume. "I think the old Commodore would have had a stroke to hear you say that."

He gave a very inelegant snort. "He would have keeled over on the spot seeing me in this, let alone speaking. I am afraid I had to leave the hat off though, it's a ghastly thing. Couldn't find a single angle where I didn't look foolish."