The Costume Ball

My costume was a beautiful confection of powder blue silk, golden lace, and filmy ruffles, and the wig towered high with ostrich feathers, pearls entwining around the curls. It did have a downside though, the wide skirts and their supports meant that I had an entire bench of the carriage to myself, and that I was almost bent double to save the wig. Will found it an amusing sight, and he was trying to distract James from his worries by voicing his thoughts. "Come on now, James, surely you think this is rather funny? Ana can't even raise her head to look at us."

"I can still hear you." I muttered, my head hunched down to preserve the wig. I could tell that we were both waiting for James to say something, to comment on the ridiculousness of my costume and the position it put me in, but we were disappointed. All James seemed to be focused on was the paper, he had been reading it over and over all day, and I could see him mouthing the words of it even now. Watching im was straining my eyes though, so I went back to studying their feet.

The carriage eventually pulled to a stop outside the Astor's massive house, James and Will heading first. Will called out from inside, "You should probably put the wig out first, and then yourself Ana." I bit my tongue, he was right and I did have to maneuver the wig out before I could follow it. I took in the sight of all of us, James with Will's borrowed sword, Will in his charcoal gray suit. It was very well tailored, and I let my eyes linger on him for a moment. I had a feeling that we cut a fine couple as we headed in, James trailing in our wake. He at least managed not to gape at the opulent surroundings, the plush carpets and polished wood. The three of us joined the line to meet the Astors, and Mrs. Astor smiled widely when she saw Will. He nodded to her, "Thank you for yet another invitation, Mrs. Astor."

"Of course, Mr. Murdoch." She reached out and patted his hand. "It's always a pleasure to have you join us. And Anastasia, such a wonderful costume. Although I'm afraid I have not met your friend back there."

I stepped aside, gesturing to James. "This is our dear friend James Moody, James this is Mrs. Astor."

He actually bowed, Will's sword sweeping back behind him. "Thank you for allowing me to attend, ma'am. Your house is wonderful."

"It's a house." She shrugged, "It's the people that make it wonderful. I hope you have an enjoyable time, Mr. Moody." We all nodded to her as we moved off to the ballroom, taking in all the various costumes represented. I saw Madame de Pompadour talking to Cleopatra, a shepherdess flirting with an older man in a suit, it was enough to make one feel heady, as if unstuck from time as mythological figures danced with men in the latest styles.

"Oh, you do look lovely." A woman, dressed as a suffragette, said as we walked by. Her costume was rather undercut by her sign, reading I Want the Vote Because I Can't Get a Man. More than likely that would be abandoned by the end of the night, cast aside to dance.

I nodded my thanks, feeling Will slip his arm around my waist. Once we had passed her I sniffed, "Will, I don't think you need to worry about her stealing me away for a dance."

"I'm not, I just like holding you." He muttered, "Although, I am not a fan of her costume."

"You don't approve of suffragettes?" I cocked an eyebrow as I looked over, having to move my head slowly to keep the wig in place. "I rather admire them, although I can't exactly throw my public support behind them."

"Of course I approve of them." He snorted, "You run your own company Ana, Ada was a teacher, and my sisters would skin me alive if I said something as horrible as what I've heard people say about them. I've been surrounded by capable women all my life, I just don't approve of her making them into a joke." I stepped a bit closer to him, swinging one of the side skirts out so I could press myself to him in a brief hug. He sighed, stopping to look out over the ballroom. "Now, how exactly are we to find Liz?"