The Brightest Jewel in My Crown

The weather was appropriately dismal as we made our way to the graveyard, tucked behind the Presbyterian church. Thick gray clouds covered the sky while a chill wind cut through my jacket, making me pull my arms tighter around myself. I had to remind myself not to crush the flowers too tightly to me, I didn't want to damage them. Will held a couple more bouquets, and he led us through the gates and into the graveyard proper. It was an old yard, some of the stones were so damaged that it was almost impossible to read what was written on them. Will stopped at a section, looking down. "Here we are, all of us Murdochs that have passed on. Well, since we moved here."

"Ah." I glanced around, taking it all in. The stones were newer, at least some of them were, and they appeared to be well taken care of.

Will stooped down, brushing the leaves off of the oldest one. "Hello, little Mary. I'm sorry I haven't been by lately." He was actually smiling as he spoke, tucking one bundle of flowers close to the stone. I tried not to tear up as I read it, Mary McMaster Murdoch, Beloved Daughter Called Home, 1865-1869. Only four, Jeanie had buried her first child when she was only four. Will brushed his fingers over the stone. "Keep an eye out for us, will you?"

He moved to the other graves, his brother John, dead this past seven years. Then it was his uncles, William and John, and he spoke quietly to all of them. I shifted on my feet, rather uncomfortable. It wasn't that I didn't want to be here, but that it felt odd to me to come and visit the dead. I hadn't gone to Father's grave since the funeral, and we rarely visited Grandmother and Grandfather. I watched Will, brushing the stones clean and placing flowers for each of them. "Is this where you want to be? You know, at the end?"

He settled back onto his heels, crouched beside his uncle's grave. "Christ Ana, I don't know." He rubbed a hand across his face. "Murdoch men never seem to get a choice it seems. Half the men in my family aren't here, there's just stones. They're out in the sea." He chuckled, bitterly. "Hell, Uncle John here always told us that one of us had to take a job that kept us on land. Couldn't have us all lost at sea."

"Well, that's been done." I tried to lighten the mood a bit. "Sam seems to be doing that."

"Aye, he is." Will sighed. "Even Ada isn't here, she's back with her own family."

I knelt beside him, wrapping my hand around his arm. "If you could pick though, where?"

He furrowed his brow, thinking for a long moment as he looked around, then slipped his hand around mine. "By you, wherever that is."

"And I'll be by you." I leaned over, kissing his cheek. A gust blew through, knocking me onto my rear and I tugged Will down with me. He was laughing a bit as he tumbled into me, and I twisted my arms around him. I couldn't stand seeing him morose like this, and I knew something that would perk him up. It always did. "Now, let's get back to the inn. It looks like it will storm, and I know how much you love a stormy night."

He stood, helping me to my feet. "Did you pack something?"

"Perhaps, but I'll need your help to get to it." I grinned at him, and he wove his fingers through mine. "Unless you want me to send Reggie for it?" He simply shook his head, and we retraced our steps through the town. By the time we had reached the pub a slight drizzle had begun, and we ducked inside to get away from it. I gave Will's hand a squeeze, "Should we get something to eat?" I couldn't help but grin a little, "After all, you'll need to keep your strength up."

"Hmmm," He gave my waist a squeeze. "It would be nice to not have to leave the room again today." He mused, and moved over to discuss the matter with the publican. I inched my way over to the fireplace, already blazing merrily, and extended my hands over it. My fingers had just begun to thaw when Will came back with a hamper, packed with plenty of food and a few bottles of beer. I shoved my barely warm hands tight under my arms as we stepped back into what had become a downpour, racing back to the Burnside.