The Wedding Portrait

The start of May found me fussing over my walking suit in the mirror. I had debated on several different ones, finally settling on a powder blue coat and skirt with a pinstripe of ivory tracing its way through. I had my forget-me-not hat pinned to my hair and a cameo pinning the lacy froth of a neckpiece that I was wearing. My ivory leather gloves were tight over my hands, although perhaps that was because I was sweating in them. I pulled them off, dried my hands, and tugged them back on. Rigel, freshly washed and brushed, watched me as I picked up the leash for him.

That great ponderous tail began to wag, and he gave a slight whine as I hooked it to his collar. I patted his head, "You're to be on your best behavior." For a moment the only sounds I could hear were the click of his claws and the click of my walking boots as we made our way downstairs. Will, in his best black suit and bowler, was waiting in the parlor. I noted the tie stick he wore, the one Mother had got him for Christmas.

He chuckled as he stood, taking the leash. "At least his hair won't show on me, you're sure your mother is alright if we bring him?"

"Of course, and besides Charles would be quite upset if he wasn't there." I smiled, reaching over to adjust the still folds of his collar. "I've already warning him to be on his best behavior, do I have to do the same for you?"

"You might have to tell that to Charles." He chuckled, "But I've learned not to misbehave in front of my father, thank you very much." The three of us made our way into the carriage, setting off for the docks. Mother was going to meet us with the car from her house, she would be taking Will's parents with her while we would be bringing Charles and Sylvie back to room with us. I would be glad for their company, but I knew Charles would likely have Will tearing his hair out after a few days.

I was counting on Sylvie to help me with that.

"And there she is." Will muttered as the carriage slowed to a stop at the docks, the visage of the Olympic rearing up before us. "Like a damn ghost." We stayed far back from the crowd that was swarming farther up towards her, and I couldn't help but let my eyes wander her lines. She, and her belated sister, really were graceful ships. It was hard to think that something so large could look like a grand lady gliding across a ballroom, but that was really all that sprung to mind as I saw her pulled in and moored. Will glanced over, "How exactly did this get arranged, again?"

"The clerk Mr. Welton sent just picked the ship that was just focused on the date we sent him for everyone to arrive. And by the time we got word it was too late to change the tickets." I sighed, shaking my head. "I hope it didn't bother everyone too much."

"So long as I don't have to set foot on her, I think it will have been fine." Will stood a little taller as the gangplanks were drawn up alongside the ship, her cranes lowering massive piles of luggage to the ground even as the first passengers began to disembark. I tried to keep an eye out for everyone, enough that I jumped slightly when Mother seemingly appeared beside me. "Goodness!"

"Do you see my new in-laws yet?" Mother craned her head, the large hat she wore straining to stay on her head. The wind was playing with the silk flowers and feathers enough to make it almost take flight. "Or your guests?"

"Of course he's off first," Will grumbled, and I could see a familiar pair headed towards us. It was unusual for me to see Charles out of uniform, but he quickly spotted us and was waving his cap as they started over. Will did manage a smile as he embraced him, "Charles, it's good to see you."

"Same for you Will," He replied as he patted his back, although his voice dropped down to where I could barely hear him. "Your girl looks far too nervous Will, didn't you tend to her before you left the house?"

Will gripped him a bit tighter, "You do know her mother is right there?"

"Indeed she is!" Charles turned, actually bowing to Mother. "Mrs. Dalian, so lovely to see you again." He held out his hand, bringing Sylvie forward. "My wife, Sylvia. Sylvia, this is Ruth Dalian, Anastasia's mother."