The Funeral

AN: I actually got choked up writing this chapter, but I promise the angst is almost done. It's just going to make what comes after that much sweeter. I really didn't intend on this becoming a slow burn, but thinking about it, based on the time it kinda had to be. Edwardian values were quite different, and I try to keep this as accurate to the time period as I can.

Of course nothing could be easy on this trip. Our train was delayed for hours in the backwoods of Pennsylvania, waiting for the line ahead to clear. Will had woken from his nap, and had immediately focused on the papers. I tried to make light of them, but he seemed to take them in stride. Except for the Journal. I could see a flush rising in him as he read, and he very calmly folded the paper back up. But when he looked to me his eyes were wild, "I'm going to kill him."

"Will, it's just idle gossip."

"He said that you're bedding not only me, but the other officers!" He stood, raking his hands through his hair as he paced the length of the car. He paused, pulling his jacket off and throwing it onto the bench before he resumed his pacing. "That you're a whore and your family's name means nothing."

I stood, catching his elbow as he walked by. "Will, you know it's not true. I know it's not true. This is exactly what they want to happen."

"They?" He shook his head, "Who do you mean?"

"The Reichsters, they gave the interview and started these rumors." I reached for his hand, pulling it from where it was clenched in his hair. "They want you to react like this, it's how they sell papers. I'll just have to give my own interview and fight back."

"But how can they print this?" The tension seemed to be leaving his grip, I could easily slide my fingers between his. "What are they trying to gain?"

"They're trying to affect our business," I pulled him back over to a bench, shifting closer to him as I felt the train begin pulling again. "If they make our name scandalous enough they think people will stop contracting with us."

"Would that happen?"

I snorted, "Maybe for those in New York society who use us, but most of our smaller clients won't care. I'll do my best to keep it from getting out of hand, but I can't imagine our business failing because of a gossip column." I slid closer to him, letting my foot brush up against his. "Trust me, it will all be fine."

We both started as a knock sounded from the door connecting us to the rest of the train, a voice calling out. "Miss Dalian? We telegraphed ahead to New York about the delay and received a telegram for you, from your mother. May I come in?"

I gave Will's hand a squeeze, then launched myself to a chair away from him. "Yes, please." The door was only open for a moment, the conductor seemingly wanted to get this over with quickly, for he dropped the telegram on a table and immediately turned around and left. I shook my head, marveling at his efficiency. "I think I could have been in your lap and he wouldn't have even noticed."

Will gave a chuckle at that, coming over to stand behind me. "Ana," He murmured, sliding his hands around my shoulders. "You must stop being so tempting."

I looked up from the telegram, giving him a smile as I folded the telegram. "Will, you are quite tempting yourself, you know."

"What did she say?"

"She will arrive at the house tomorrow to ride over to the funeral." I sighed, leaning back into the chair and the feeling of his hands on my shoulders. "And she contacted our lawyers immediately after her arrival, they've expedited the will reading. It's on Wednesday, I'll have to be back for that."