Hair of the Dog

To say that the next morning was uncomfortable was an understatement. I had made up a bed on the settee, and my legs were cramped from having to remain curled up all night. I was still in a nightgown that I had managed to get out of my trunk without waking Will, and my bare feet enabled me to quietly sneak up the stairs. Father had always been so sensitive to loud noises the day after he had been drinking, so I did my best to silently push the bedroom door open. Will was wrapped in the sheets, and the glass of water had been drained. He was loudly snoring, which enabled me to get my dressing gown and collect the glass without waking him. After all, if he wasn't waking himself up with that noise, he would hardly notice me.

I was in the kitchen refilling the glass when the bell above the door rang. Kate came in, a small basket of eggs in her hand, a rasher of bacon wrapped up next to them. I set the glass down, "Hello Kate, I can take that for you."

She pulled the basket back as I reached for it, "Miss, you don't need to cook."

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist on it Kate, Mr. Murdoch overindulged last night so I'm trying to keep everything quiet. Take the rest of the morning for yourself." I gave her a smile as I reached the basket again.

Kate moved it out of my reach. "Do you even know how to cook?"

"I have helped our cook, Kate. I can manage to fry bacon and eggs, I can even brew a pot of coffee." I snapped my hand out, grabbing the basket. I quickly placed the eggs and bacon on the counter and handed the basket back. "Now, head off and enjoy yourself." Kate clearly did not believe me, and watched as I pulled out a frying pan and a bowl. I even managed to get the oven lit, and it wasn't until the bacon was sizzling that I heard the bell ring as she left. I left the bacon for a moment to run another glass of water upstairs.

Will hadn't moved, but he gave a grumble as I set the water down. "Mhhm, Ade." I paused for a moment at the door, listening. "Need to, letter, Ana." I shook my head as I snorted, just a bunch of nonsense. I looked over at the closed door as I left, I hadn't been in it the entire time. With Will firmly asleep, it would be the perfect time to look in. He had never said to stay out, I just hadn't had the thought until now.

The door swung open quietly, and I was almost disappointed. It was simply an office, with a plain desk and chair, a small bookcase and an inkstand. The only interesting item was a sewing machine in a corner, covered under a layer of dust. It must have been Ada's, and I lingered on it for a moment. I could clean it, I knew how to use one, and surely Will would be pleased to see it being put back to work. Or would I be trampling on her memory by using it? He might be keeping it as a memento of her. In the end, it was best to just close the door and leave it be. Back downstairs, I had just cracked the eggs into the bacon grease when I heard a knock at the door. I opened it to find Charles, smiling. "How's your patient?"

"Still asleep," I stood aside as he came in, "I've got breakfast frying up. I can have coffee ready in a bit."

"Smells good." He barely paused as he started up the stairs. I returned to the kitchen, finding a rather battered coffee pot that I set to boiling on the stove. The eggs were coming along nicely, and I busied myself by looking around the kitchen for salt and pepper. They were in a cabinet, and I noticed a few glass bottles on the shelf above them. They looked to be medicines, I disregarded most until I found a small bottle of aspirin. I tucked it into the pocket of my dressing gown, and pulled the eggs off the heat before I started up. The aspirin would be a godsend for his headache. I had just gained the landing when I heard Will's voice, slightly muffled but understandable. I kept quiet as I crept closer to the door, listening. "Lights, you don't know what I did last night."

"You got drunk Will, rather understandable given the circumstances." Charles sounded almost amused by it.

"No, what I did to Ana. I was horrible." Will groaned, and I heard the bed creak.