Verdict

The doctor the court had sent to determine my fitness barely examined me. I had been fully prepared to act as sick as I could, Mother had even insisted on dusting my face and arms with powder to make me look paler. Will had been enlisted to sit by my bedside, ready to tell the doctor how I had barely slept after what had happened. Instead, the doctor had simply touched my throat, brushed his hand across my bruise, and nodded. "Yes, I can see you have been very ill-treated. In fact, I believe you're on the verge of hysteria. Such exciting events, like the trial, must be avoided at all costs." He scribbled this down onto a paper. "I recommend that you stay on bed rest, preferably in the dark and eat only bland foods. Anything to avoid exciting your body."

Will reached for my hand. "You truly think she may be affected by hysteria?"

"She has already fainted multiple times," The doctor stood, completely ignoring Mother's open mouth as she tried to speak. "And most women are far too stubborn, so I shall be entrusting you with her care."

"Shouldn't I be given that duty, as her mother?" Her voice was like ice as she cut through the end of the doctor's statement.

He didn't even turn to look at her. "Far too indulgent, if anything your daughter should be kept on bread and water, with no entertainment or interactions, until these trying events have passed." He focused on Will. "I trust you to have the strength to enforce this."

Will swallowed. "I shall, thank you for coming."

"Of course, I'll go make my report to the court." The sound of his footsteps climbing down the stairs was far too comforting. Even Rigel appeared to be a bit more at ease with him gone.

Mother whirled on Will. "If you intend to treat Anastasia as if she is some kind of prisoner, I shall-"

"I would never." Will cut her off with a shake of his head. "So long as she does nothing to hurt herself, I will allow her as much as she wants." He glanced over to me. "Although, we should probably stay inside, just to avoid anyone saying anything if they see us."

I smiled. "That is a good point, although if you two start up a poker tournament I may go down to the offices." I actually laughed as I got out of bed, accepting Will's hand. He shook his head, and Mother gave a very refined snort. "I swear you two, no poker. If I have to organize all of us into performing Shakespeare to avoid it, I will."

"That actually sounds rather entertaining." Mother said, standing and coming to brush off some of the powder from my face and arms. "Although I'm afraid we may need some more actors to join us."

"I'm sure Liz would be willing to come spend a few days with us." I gave Will a grin. "And James would certainly enjoy it."

He smiled back, shaking his head and chuckling. "I'll leave it to you to convince Oscar to allow it, but I have a feeling she'll come even if he doesn't feel like it." He stepped out, letting Louise and Mother get me into a dress, leaving my hair down for the informal setting. It felt nice to not have to worry about going to the court, to know that I could just spend my day with my friends and loved ones.

Oscar was happily eating a plate of eggs when I walked into the dining room and half rose out of his seat. "You look much better than yesterday, Anastasia."

"Thank you, Oscar." I reached for a plate of pancakes, slathering them with dark, sweet maple syrup. "It looks like we won't have to go to court until it's time for the verdict."

"Thank Christ." Ezekiel, huddled over a mug of coffee, muttered.

Oscar snorted. "Indeed, I'd rather not have to deal with it anymore either."

"But we'll be stuck in here." Will, coming in and pressing a kiss to my cheek, said. "At least Ana will."

"Yes, I was hoping that Liz might be able to come over and stay for awhile." I shamelessly batted my eyes at Oscar. "She'd make it a bit easier to deal with."