Drunk

Sylvia was more than amenable to some shopping, seeing as her two boys were off with their friends and she desperately wanted to avoid some housework that she had been putting off. Charles and Will set off for the White Star offices after seeing us off, apparently Charles was already being called to some task on the Oceanic. Sylvia was quite happy to show me around though, pointing out grocers, laundries and other stores as we strolled along the streets. After a light lunch we were perusing a ready made store that she knew of, and I watched her handle a shirtwaist. It was a delicate affair, with lace insertions along the neck and sides. "That's lovely, you should get it."

She started folding it back up, "Oh, I couldn't. It's too much."

"I'll pay for it," I took it from her and shook it out. "Consider it a gift." I turned to look at a wall of hats, "In fact, pick whatever you like. I think that yellow silk would go well with it."

She looked over at the yellow hat, the light gold silk accented with a burst of silk sunflowers and white ostrich plumes. "Miss Dalian, I can't ask that."

"Why Mrs. Lightoller, after I had to put up with your husband for a few weeks, you deserve far more for having to live with him all the time." I laughed, handing her the hat. She removed the modest gray one she wore and placed the new hat on her dark curls. It brought out the light in her green eyes, and she fairly glowed. "It suits you."

She considered herself in a mirror, "It is quite lovely." Taking it off, she looked at it in her hands, worrying the brim, "If you're sure that it is not a problem."

"Of course not, Sylvia." I ducked my head a bit, "You don't mind if I call you that, do you?"

"Not at all, Anastasia." She smiled, brushing her curls back into place with the back of her hand as she replaced her gray hat.

A clerk came up to take both the hat and the shirtwaist to keep behind the counter while we continued to browse. Sylvia lifted a pair of buff gloves to consider them more closely. "Could I ask you about something? From Charles' time in New York?" At my nod she continued, "Charles brought back some newspapers, he thought the boys might like to read them one day. But I read them, and some of the things they said, about you, and the officers. Was it, was it accurate?"

I drew a pair of gray leather gloves on, admiring the pearl buttons on them. "There were quite a few articles about us, and not all of them good. I don't suppose you could be a bit more specific?"

"The one about you taking my husband off in a private rail car." She cut her eyes to me over the display, "With the others, of course."

"I did take them to Washington in my private car," I shook my head, "I had told them I would take care of them while they were in America, and that they would be given the use of everything at my disposal. Have no fear though, Mrs. Lightoller, your husband immediately fell asleep in the car while I read a book." I chuckled as I glanced over, "He does snore something terrible."

She laughed at that, "Yes, it took quite some getting used to when we were first married." After selecting a few more items, I directed the clerk to send the invoice to the offices and our purchases to our respective homes. Sylvia and I walked along the streets until we found a small park, green and flowering in the spring air. We claimed a wooden bench set alongside a path, under a shady tree. Sylvia looked over after we had sat, "How long are you staying?"

I sighed, "I don't know, I came to see Will. But I don't know when he'll be able to leave." I took in the park, the blooming beds of flowers and the gravel paths winding their ways through trees and hedges. I found I enjoyed the city, the harbor and the docks, the little streets and alleys that wandered throughout the city. Even the smell, a mix of sea air, coal smoke and the damp scent of the Thames, was quickly becoming familiar and comforting. "It is lovely here, though. I don't mind staying for a little while."