Chapter Four- Protective Instinct

As children, we are told bedtime stories about the princes and princesses that haunt our fantasies. We are given unbelievable expectations of things that will never happen. That being said, love stories and heroes do exist-they just take different form and they are not perfect. Some have demons they have been facing since birth, some just know how to hide it better than others.

        After breakfast, I readied myself for the day by placing my hair long on my shoulders and dressing as I often did-in jeans and a tee shirt that had some ironic phrase printed on the front. I placed a small amount of makeup on my face-just enough to compliment my eyes before making my way back in the kitchen to find my mother interrogating Nicholas. I had completely forgotten she was home and was mortified when I saw the look on his face. Although he seemed happy to her, I could feel an utter annoyance in him.

        "So I see I wasn't the only one last night who got lucky." My mother said with no censor. She wore a wicked grin as if she had just gotten away with a crime.

        "Nothing happened." I began. But before I could speak another word, Nicholas stood from the bar stool.

        "Miss Masson, I assure you I am just a friend of your daughters. In fact, we haven't known each other long."

        My mother interjected. "I knew her father two months before he became well...before he was a father..."

        Nicholas gave her a warm smile before he continued. "I can assure you I just want to protect your daughter."

        I was unable to hide my smile at this point.

        "I was going to ask to borrow the car...so I can show him around." I asked as if I were a child asking their mother for a toy at the store. She gave me a grin before handing me the keys on the counter.

        "Just remember, condoms are in the glove compartment." She said with a wink.

        My face was fifty shades of red when I walked out of the door. I eagerly apologized to Nicholas but he stopped me.

        "I like her, she seems..."

        "Crude."

        "I was going to say real." He said raising an eyebrow. "So where are we going?"

        "Hmmm....Well I was thinking just about driving. Showing you some key places in my life."

        "As long as you're there...I'm all in..." He said with a warm smile once more. He opened my car door, insisted I wear a seat belt, and complimented how I looked within ten seconds of us being outside. On one hand I hated being told what to do. On the other hand-I loved it....