Chapter Twenty Two- Guilt

For as long as I had known him, Ethan had always been the guy who was the bad boy. Not in a sexy taboo fashion, but the annoying kind. I desired nothing more than for him to exit my life, but I did not want him to leave it this way. I expected it to be when I had graduated and I would never have to endure his presence ever again.

But another thought plagued my thoughts. The last person to be with him was Nick and I, and Nick left him pretty beat up. Did he kill him? But what scared me more was the fact that I was not scared of Nick even if it were to be proven true.

"What is it?" Nick asked as he saw my distress. He placed his arms around me and held me close as a tear fell from my cheek. Even I was unsure why I was upset. I had no feelings for him and yet he caused me such agony of his death.

"Ethan...he's dead." The words exited my mouth with great pain. My sobs made the sentence nearly impossible.

"Oh my." But as he spoke, his eyes showed pain. The pain I felt guilty for not feeling. "How?"

"I'm not sure. Lea just told me...."

"What are you going to do?"

"Go talk to Lea....She will tell me the details. She has a gift for the dramatics."

"Do you wish for me to go with?" His tone was more of a beg than a question.

"If you want...You might feel awkward though....I don't want you to go if you will feel-" Before I could finish, he interrupted me.

"If you are going, I'm there. I don't want you to be alone. Not anymore...." He said as he hijacked my keys from my hand and led me out the door.

Giving him directions to her house, my stomach was now in knots. I was more nervous to face Lea than the possible homicidal maniac sitting beside me. He couldn't have done it. But if he didn't-then who?

"We're here." I said as I noticed the house in front of the car. I had been going to this house since I was little but never for such a depressing matter as this.

As I entered the house, I was able to notice Lea with a few other girls I had gone to school with. When I entered, she ran to me and covered her face and began crying. That was until she saw Nick. She stepped back and I could see the confusion on her face, as well as the other girls'.

"Who is this?" Lea asked, her tears now ceasing.

"Nick." He said extending his hand. "Nick Beck."