Chapter Forty Nine- Change in Heart

We spent the remainder of that day getting to know the girl who was my sister. She explained how her name was Maya Masson and was put up for adoption but was looking for her biological mother who she discovered was killed recently. She said she just wants to help solve the murder since mother wrote her stating a series of evidence.

She handed me the letter with a smile and I found it to be legit. It was done with my mother's handwriting and signed just as she did. The letter stated how she knew she would die and how she wanted her daughters to be there for each other. We got to know each other throughout the day. As we said goodnight, I set her on the couch as Nick and I went to bed. But as we readied the bed, he wouldn't stop looking in the hall.

"Someone paranoid?"

He went to the door quick before shutting it and turning back to me.

"What is it?"

"Why would your mother keep her a secret? Why put her up for adoption? Did you know your mom was pregnant?"

"She is only a few years younger-I wouldn't have remembered...."

"Things just don't add up..." He said as he slid into bed.

"Come on, don't be like that. There is a resemblance..."

"I do believe she is truly your sister...but why now? Does she know about the inheritance?"

"No...." I froze for a moment. "What about the girl with the dark hair? Was that her?"

He shook his head. "No...."

"Did you find out what you needed to in order to finally tell me what you know?"

"Not yet love...But I promise-"

"Why won't you tell me? What is the secret?"

"I don't want to tell you until I have all the information to answer any of your questions..."

"Yeah..."

I was obviously upset at his keeping secrets but I couldn't be too angry. I knew whatever he did was for my protection, I just wish I knew why. As I went to bed, I laid beside someone who I saw as a somewhat stranger. It was a roller coaster once more. I knew him before Maya showed up but now I was filled with doubt once more...Only now the stakes were higher. The relationship I wanted for so long I finally obtained-but it was as if everything could change within a blink....I was helpless to sit back and see how it already had...