Chapter Forty Three- The Story of Nicholas Beck

There was deep darkness in my heart due to the last events. I stood before the man I loved and who shared the same feelings but I didn't know him. I didn't know who he was. Where he was from....or even, his middle name. This made me confused as well as skeptical of him.

"Savannah?" he asked me as he noticed my long gaze out of the kitchen window.

"What?"

"What is it? Do you see something?"

"No."

Maybe it was the tone in my voice or the look in my eyes, but he knew something was bothering me. He insisted until I eventually exploded with frustration.

"You are tired of my secrecy? Believe me when I say it is not my intention...I just feel like it can keep you safer that way..."

Safer? What is he talking about? What dark past does he have that is so terrible? I asked him this and he paused before responding.

"My dad was a bad man. The worst they came. He left me and my mom when I was fifteen. My mom remarried and the brother beat me up pretty bad. Anyway, all throughout my life I learned I had to defend myself. Dog eat dog. But I found a thrill for it so I entered boxing...I lied to you about the wound on my stomach before I came here..."

Figured....

"Oh?" I asked-acting surprised.

"I went against a guy named Bullet. He rigged the match and I almost died."

I gasped, unable to keep it in.

"Oh my..."

"But just as the final countdown came into play and my adrenaline activated, I knocked him out cold-it killed him. The blow was so intense that it ended his life. I thought about taking mine that night too. I couldn't stand knowing I killed someone...."

I placed a large and long hug onto him before slowly moving away as he finished the story.

"As I left that night, his now widow came up to me and hugged me. She told me how he was abusive and was going to kill her and their children...I saved her and I realized I shouldn't feel guilt. To me, he was a soulless man with nothing more than an anger and the adrenaline I felt. Only I have a soul..."

"I had no idea-"

"The night I came to the barn...I got jumped outside the gym. It was about ten miles away maybe a little less but it felt like years. I was stabbed with a piece of glass."

"Why didn't you go to a hospital?"

"I never trusted people. I know them too well-but with you...you were different. When I saw you and you came out in the barn...you helped someone you didn't know. Someone who could have lied and you trusted me. You didn't judge me-at least not aloud and you let me stay with you. Even now after everything you've been through...I don't know when but I fell in love with you...And I am not leaving you alone..."

"I'm glad. I am so sorry you had to endure that on your own. I just thought you were evading because of embarrassment or-"

"Lying....."

I nodded with a guilty blush.

"I'm sorry. I should have learned by now to trust you..."

"I don't blame you. Especially after Peter... What I did then was no different than in the ring the months prior. It was only two people who were both monsters but I swear I never wanted to hurt anybody. I just wanted to protect you..." He said as a single tear fell down his cheek.

"I believe you. I trust you so you don't have to worry. I know I was unfair and I am so eternally sorry for that. We need to find out what happened to my mom, to Ethan-to clear your name...so we can be together..."

"What about school?"

"I'll get my GED or something. Go back next year-"

"No. You need to go back. At least get some work....You told me your teachers understood your absence so far..."

I nodded. Unfortunately, I did not deal with ten years of a living heck just to flake my final two years. Technically one and a half.

"Fine. But what are you going to do?"

"Search. I can't really leave but I can get some information... Rewatch the vlogs...all that stuff."

"We could just run...take the inheritance...find some place warm with the drinks with the little umbrellas served every hour and the sun always beaming down and hot sand...glassy tepid water..."

"Oh you are tempting..." He said with a giggle. "But...we would only be able to run so long...something would eventually catch up with us and I can't put you in that position. But when this is all done I'll take you somewhere with those tiny umbrellas, warm sand, and beaming sun-"

"And the water?"

"Of course."

He gave me a sweet kiss before we parted for the night. Shakespeare was indeed right as parting was in deed such sweet sorrow. But this had been the first night in months I was able to sleep without issue. Knowing his story, knowing his history, and knowing a plan now-it all felt as if everything would actually be alright...But what do I know?