Chapter Thirty Nine- Too Much

"What's wrong?"

"Stay away from me!" I shouted as I went toward the door.

"What happened? What did that message say?"

"They know who killed Ethan..."

"Oh?"

He waited for me to answer but I was conflicted in if which I should say. On one point, he could deny it and justify his innocence, or admit and make me another victim among what I know what would have been two; Ethan and Peter. I froze before him with fear deep set in my gaze. Holding distance between us, he asked me repeatedly to tell him. But he was not stupid.

"You think I did it?"

My hand was now gripping the handle tight. Slowly, without my consent, my head began to nod. I stopped it as I realized the anger forming in his eyes.

Walking over to me, he placed his hands firmly on the door. On either side of my head, his face was right before mine.

"You think I did it? You think I would kill someone like that?"

"You did before-"

"To protect you!" He said, now angry.

"You could have had the same motive for Ethan. You beat him that night, you could have easily left him to die..."

"Are you going to say I killed your mom now too? Mine as well? Add another to the list..."

"If you hurt me, they'll know. Angelea knows I'm here with you, she'll talk."

He nodded slowly before punching the wall hard.

"What will it take to get through to you? Huh? I only want to protect you. I killed Peter because he wouldn't have stopped. You would still be his sex slave if I wouldn't have done it. And no I don't regret it. That doesn't make me a psychopath. And to be honest, Ethan was breathing just fine when I left him."

He could tell the doubt that cascaded over my hope but all I could do was listen. My mouth would not create the words I so desperately wanted to speak. He held his knuckles tight as I saw blood drip through the crevices in his hand.

"I want nothing more than to protect you. That's all I ever wanted."

"Then let me go-"

"No. You will get hurt."

"I have enough inheritance to last until I die, whether that is tomorrow or when my grandchildren have grandchildren. But either way, I can't stand being next to you!"

I opened the door quickly and ran down the stairs before getting into my car and pulling away from the motel. I knew it was not smart, but I was desperate-I went back home.