Chapter Forty- Alone in One's Thoughts

Guilt surrounded me as I drove back toward what I believed was home. But as I took each light, or turned at each stop sign, or even saw another city sign, my mind was immediately brought back to him. I know he was dangerous and a possible killer, but so much of me didn't believe it. It was as if there was another voice in my head screaming he was innocent. As I made it the town before mine, I realized how cruel I had been. His motives for doing what he did were only for protection. He has never hurt me and has only wanted to protect me...but-

BAM!

I awoke in the hospital with the sound of the heart monitor beeping beside me. A nurse had just left as my eyes opened and I felt a presence to the other side of me. I turned to find Lea standing there with teary eyes and clutching her phone tight. As I looked up to her, she hugged me tight before pulling back.

"Are you okay? How do you feel? Can I get you anything? Are you sore? Do you-"

"I'm okay." I said with a giggle.

There she went again with her theatrics. She smiled and hugged me again before explaining how I was hit by a truck that ran a red light and rammed me into a post. The doctor's explained how I was lucky to be alive.

"How long have I been in here?"

"Two days. They have had you on a cocktail of drugs so they said you wouldn't remember much if anything..."

But I did. I remembered Nick. The night I left so angry and unfairly. I would have given anything to see his face when I awoke.

"How do I look?" I said jokingly, posing as I was now sitting up.

"Runner-up to a zombie pageant." We both laughed at this.

I looked at myself and saw a few bruises and my cheek still sore from Peter's touch.

"Do they still think Nick killed Ethan?" I said as the laughing subsided.

"I guess he was beaten so bad he got a concussion and due to the unaided swelling in his brain and hemorraging, he died there in the alley..."

"Wow." I said trying to picture who could have done it.

"Yeah, I guess he was the last one seen there..."

"Good thing he's not here then..." She gave me a quizzical look.

"You think he's innocent?"

The question itself just caused a pit in my stomach. I did, but I knew If I did, they would think I was an accomplice. How could I help him if they locked me up too?

"I don't know. I just, nobody knows except them I guess..."

She quickly changed the subject as her phone buzzed. "Oh! Justin is picking me up. I'll see you later." She said as she walked quickly out the door-not even giving me a chance to say goodbye.

As I looked to the door, I saw a figure. Standing tall with dark hair and prominent eyes. Muscles visible through whatever clothing he wore. His rough hands hidden deep in his pockets and his expression sad and worried.

It was him. Nick came to see me.