Chapter Twenty Seven- Missing Literature

I remember the first book I read when I was a child. It was a Dr. Suess rhyming book and I read it every night before I could read larger stories. But as I grew older, my mother would read me books that always had a meaning behind them-most of them were about finding your way through life. The last book she read to me was six months before she passed away. She always cited one section and repeated it aloud to me many times. This made me realize I knew what she was trying to tell me.

"What is it?" Nick asked as I jumped quickly from the seat.

"My mom hid the video somewhere else...or something more important..."

"What makes you say that?"

I led him through the house until we made it to a bookshelf in the hall. The same one I retrieved the camera from previously. There sat a book-the last book my mother read aloud to me. And in it was the phrase she spoke;

"I am no angel for I have sinned, but nor am I a devil for I have not sinned in blasphemy to the Lord Jesus Christ."

The section did continue, but this was my mother's favorite part. She would usually end this paragraph and giggle saying how she believed that section of the book was written with her in mind.

As I pulled the book from its resting position, I looked over to find Nick watching my every move. When I opened the book, I noticed how a large section of it was cut out and with all the absent pages was a small black tape. I held it proudly in my hand before seeing my "father" come out and find us by the bookshelf.

"What are you doing?" He asked with a smirk.

Hiding the tape in my back pocket, I turned to Nick and he answered as he saw the inability to make a believable excuse.

"Vannah was just letting me barrow a book." He said as he lifted it in his hand. "I can't sleep unless I read first..."

"I see...So I was thinking tomorrow we could go fishing."

Fishing? Who did he think I was? I was not a girly girl but also not a tomboy. I liked glittery nail polish but could kill any creature that dared stand in my way. It was not a hobby I preferred. I would rather spend my time trying to solve my mother's murder-especially if he had anything to do with it.

"I have school." I said quick. For the first time in my life-relieved it would be Monday.

"Oh. Well after school?"

I nodded, trying to muster up any happiness I could.

"We have to see what's on that tape." Nick said as my father left the room. I stood before Nick and followed him to my room where we watched yet another tape. Only this time, the anticipation grew the best of me.