Chapter Forty One- Conclusions

Our eyes locked for some time before he finally entered the room and shut the door behind him. Also twisting the blinds, he then turned to me. I think he expected me to hate him or hit him-either way, he kept his distance.

"I didn't think you would want to see me." He said as he avoided eye contact. "That's why I didn't come in..."

"Why would you think that?"

"The things I am being accused of...the way we left things...I thought you hated me..."

In the time I had known him, I had seen many emotions. But never sad. Sometimes upset, but not like this.

"I was wrong. I should have known you didn't do it."

"How do you know I didn't?"

"I know you. I know it hasn't been long but I do. I was just scared and I shouldn't have reacted that way and I guess..." Looking at the medical instruments around me, I continued on. "This is my karma."

"No! I shouldn't have let you drive that night. I should have taken your keys...Listen....I think it's best if..." He paused as if the words he were to speak next were poison. "I think-I have to go...I can't stay and you can't leave..."

"What? No."

"Savannah-"

"We are in this together. We have been since the day you showed up in that barn and every moment since. If you leave, that would truly break my heart."

"I am wanted for murder. It's their word against mine."

"And mine."

He gave me a confusing look.

"You did save me that night. He beat me up bad and you saved me."

He kept quiet.

"I can talk to them...make them see the side of you they don't know. I want you to be safe-"

"I want that for you. I think it's best for this to die down and then I'll turn myself in..."

"What? That makes no sense! Why not do it now? Why do it at all?"

"If I do it now, they'll roast me. Kill me the second they can. But if I wait, gather evidence, then I may have a chance..."

"Are you going to try to find out who really killed him?"

He nodded.

"To be honest, he was dead when I saved you...somebody was there before...I'm just so glad they left you alone...maybe they thought you were dad also..."

I shut my eyes tight as I grabbed his hand.

"Don't leave me." I said as he put his hand on my cheek.

"Never. As you said, we're in this together."