Chapter Fifty Seven- Reaction and Emotion

The next few days were in fragments to me. I remember school, the weekend, even telling Nick about the intruder. But for some reason, I was unable to place a day to day timeline. It was as if the week formed into a long day. That was until this one day I will never forget. Maya, Nick and I had just gotten back on good terms. We all tried to get to know one another and it seemed to be peaceful.

During dinner, I noticed how nobody spoke. It was as if they were hiding something from me. Just as a joke, I made it a comment. Their reaction made me freeze.

"Come on, what are you guys hiding from me?"

"You couldn't handle it." I heard Nick say with a straight face.

I had never seen him so serious. I have never seen Maya so quiet. What was it that they wanted to keep from me? What was so terrible I couldn't know? They way they looked at me was if I was a different species. I knew the secret was dangerous due to the way they kept it quiet from me.

"What is it?" I said, now standing.

"How do you feel?"

"Fine...Why are you treating me like this?"

"You truly don't remember do you?"

"What are you talking about?"

Nick and Maya looked to one another before Nick walked toward me. As I looked back and forth between them, I saw a police officer outside the door.

"What is going on? What are you doing?"

"Love, their going to take you in to ask you some questions. Just try to remember..."

"What?"

It was as if the floor fell beneath me. What was happening? Why was there a cop on my porch? Why was the man I love and the sister I despised looking to me as if I was completely insane?

I was placed in the back of a cop car and brought to the station where I was then accused of murder. How could they do this to me? It was then I knew. Without a doubt...I fell in love with a serial killer. Someone deviant and demonic even. Someone soulless and heartless with nothing more than a name to be recognized by. I was placed behind large metal bars as I took the sentence he deserved. I would have never hurt anybody. And yet I was being blamed for doing such.