Chapter Thirteen- By the Light of the Fire

Nick was now placing himself on the couch as I placed the blankets at the base of the furniture item. I watched him as his arms flexed as he placed the sheets to a more comfortable position.

"I think you have everything you need." I said as I hesitantly turned from him and walked toward the stairs.

"I would actually like to get to know you." He said, causing me to stop in my stance.

"I don't think there is much to know."

"You are a mystery to me Vannah."

"How so?"

"I can never tell what you are thinking. There is nothing that terrifies me more than this."

"So what do you want to know?" I asked, my expression eager and happy. He tapped the couch beside him and I made my way over and sat with my legs crossed beside him.

"I have to know..." He began, a shy grin on his face. "What is the story with Ethan?"

I took a deep breath. "He dated one of my best friends. She got bored and moved on but he never let her go. He has tried to hurt her before but...you see his family is one of those families in which karma comes to them in the end. It is nowhere near the end yet-at least for them..."

"What did he do to her?"

"He showed up at her house one night and broke into her bedroom. After doing certain things-he then escaped before he severely hurt her. She called me just after I got my license and I picked her up and she stayed with me."

"Wow." He said as he tried to comprehend each point of the story. "Why is he coming after you though?"

"He thinks I talked her out of the relationship...which I did but it was only because he was abusive and this other guy that she just broke up with treated her like a queen."

"Is that what you want one day?"

"What?"

"Someone to treat you like a queen?"

When he asked me this, it took me a minute to understand the answer he wanted. I wanted to give him a smile and nod but I froze as I felt his eyes permanent on mine. He was no longer looking at me with a smirk, it was now a cemented glare as if I had offended him or as if it were too bright.

"No."

"No?"

"Well yes, but I also want adventure. Someone unexpected-I could wake up one day and have my head on his chest and the next day be surrounded by roses. It just depends I guess..."

"On?"

"Who the guy is..."

He rose from the sitting position and then toward the fire. "So you don't have anyone?" He asked, his tone now more intrigued than friendly.

"Nope. Never."

"Are you not into guys?"

I giggled. "No. It's the fact that I'm not...supermodel enough for them. Every girl at my school-including my friends are. I'm just me."

"I see..." His face turned to me and showed a harsh look. "Why exactly do you find yourself unattractive?"

This question surprised me. What an odd question.

"I guess my body. I'm frail and my neck is too small for my big head. My eyes are too close..."

"You know what I see? A girl who is perfectly crafted and oblivious to this. She is beautiful both inside and out and damaged though. Her heart is sprained-but not by ex-lovers. By life..."

"I told you there isn't that much to know about me."

"I'm just getting started."